Pre-Culloden? Scottish Basket Hilt
Hello,

I am interested in peoples thoughts on an Andrea Ferrara marked Scottish Basket hilt I just bought. I bought it as an early 18th century model.. but having looked at it now in person --I am thinking it is quite a bit later, early 19th century with an earlier blade. I believe this sword was owned by another forum member, as I have seen some posts on it before. The only issue is the hilt which is quite specifically 1828 in pattern.

What are peoples thoughts?
the sword

Thanks,
Z
The basket is of an 1828-pattern regimental style. I have seen a couple identical swords with the same "Andrea Varara" stamping in the double fullered blade; in fact, I handled one several years ago (it was nice, with a decent weight and balance). It's my opinion (without any further documentation or evidence, mind you) that these swords (both basket and blade) were Victorian-era commercial pieces (this doesn't mean they didn't see military service, they could have been private purchase items for highland officers). In any event, certainly not "Pre-Culloden" by any stretch.
Well Zach…that is definitely an 1828 pattern basket. That being said, I think we can move on to other parts of the sword.

The blade, with its markings, is the most interesting part of the sword. The markings are certainly very clear and sharp considering the overall condition of the blade which has been used and abused during its lifetime. That makes me a little bit suspicious but not overly so as something like this sword, which has probably passed through many hands since it was made, could show wear and tear and still not have its markings obliterated. I think your theory that it is an earlier blade with a later hilt is correct. Just how early I could not say. I have seen a number of swords that were clearly re-hilted with a later basket.

The scabbard is interesting but how can we be sure it is original to the sword. That’s about all I can say about that.
Interesting piece and thank you for sharing it with the group.

One thing about the description on the auction site, I have heard the story of Andria Farara many times but I haven't seen anything which proves it to be true...
Thank you for confirming what I suspected! I contacted the seller, and he was happy to accept it back for a refund.. and said they would revise the listing.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: