Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Overseas shipping during covid-19 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Overseas shipping during covid-19         Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind during this period is that overseas shipping, at least Europe to North America, is apparently restricted to ground/water, i.e. actual ships, not air. I just placed an order that will take at least 4-6 weeks.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Overseas shipping during covid-19         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Something to keep in mind during this period is that overseas shipping, at least Europe to North America, is apparently restricted to ground/water, i.e. actual ships, not air. I just placed an order that will take at least 4-6 weeks.

Sorry to hear that Doug,

UGH, That's a bummer. I hope the situation has changed by the time my project in the UK is finished.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We are continuously shipping to the US and have not found this at all. Air freight is open.

We are continuing to ship using DHL via air

We are continuing to ship using Royal Mail/ USPS via air

from their site today
"Most major export routes remain open and we continue to accept and process mail. Specifically, Royal Mail’s international services to the USA remain operational. "

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting, maybe it's just continental Europe.

I would check before ordering.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of the international restrictions affect travel, rather than shipping. I think by far the bigger factor in orders being delayed will be the acute shortage of staff at every step of the process - fewer people will take longer to do the same amount of work, simple as that.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FWIW
I’ve received a shipment from Germany in the last week with another one inbound and due to be delivered tomorrow according to USPS. Shipment for the 2nd package took a little longer than the previous one as it’s now been 10 days since the shipment was posted.

On the other hand Lorifactor told me that the Polish post has stopped all international shipments and if I placed an order it would have to go via UPS and would cost about 3 times what it normally should be.

Why then the worlds mine oyster
Which I with sword will open.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't want to single them out unnecessarily, but my experience was with Poland. Unfortunately that's where some of the best international smiths are located these days. Still worth the wait, but I wish I had known before.
Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just received two shipping from SBG forumites residential in the USA; no problems. Both took around 7-10 days shipping time including air travel, but a rather long period in our customs labyrinth...
Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Yeah, I didn't want to single them out unnecessarily, but my experience was with Poland. Unfortunately that's where some of the best international smiths are located these days. Still worth the wait, but I wish I had known before.

Maybe the item wasnt in stock? Thats pretty much exactly the usual polish/czech/hungary production time...
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Holger Mahling wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

Maybe the item wasnt in stock? Thats pretty much exactly the usual polish/czech/hungary production time...

It was in stock and has been shipped (I have a tracking number) but it will take several weeks. Seems like this is a Poland-specific problem.
Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Holger Mahling wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

It was in stock and has been shipped (I have a tracking number) but it will take several weeks. Seems like this is a Poland-specific problem.

Ah, pity... sorry to hear!
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Crap. 50 days and still no word on the Polish sword.

Having troubles with USPS too; I've got an 18 day-old shipment coming from Texas that went off the radar two weeks ago. No idea where it is.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The vast majority of air mail is sent via passenger planes. 96% of passenger flights have been grounded so couriers have to wait for a flight to become available before they can send anything. On top of that, we are sending more parcels now than ever before. In some areas, the number of parcel deliveries has more than doubled since the instigation of travel restrictions. On top of that, mail processors and customs officials have to deal with all this with less personnel because of social distancing requirements and staff quarantines. There are backlogs and bottlenecks all over the place. I have overseas orders that I placed in February that are just arriving now.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without EMS running, it has become a major problem for us to ship RSW or sharp swords to overseas. Sad
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depends on which country you are ordering from. I have bought four swords from late March to early May from Outfit4events.com which is located in the Czech Republic and each sword was sent and arrived to my home within a week. That company ships through Fedex.
Newbie Sword collector
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod,

I'm glad to hear your shipping is working well. I have some money that is going to be used to buy some of your most excellent daggers I think.

RPM
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now over 8 weeks, and my Polish sword hasn't shown up this side of the Atlantic. But at least there's a reason for that.

I'm more worried about the sword I bought from USA. After leaving the post-office its been 'in transit to next facility' for more than three weeks. That's one heck of a slow truck. I think its time to inquire, no?

I know there are far more important things going on in the world right now, but when you see your retirement investments tank, and then buy some stuff to feel better, this is a downer.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Now over 8 weeks, and my Polish sword hasn't shown up this side of the Atlantic. But at least there's a reason for that.

I'm more worried about the sword I bought from USA. After leaving the post-office its been 'in transit to next facility' for more than three weeks. That's one heck of a slow truck. I think its time to inquire, no?

I know there are far more important things going on in the world right now, but when you see your retirement investments tank, and then buy some stuff to feel better, this is a downer.

I’d open a case with usps. I had a priority mail item in that status for week with no scan after its initial scan. The buyer suggested I open a case, which I did Friday. While usps couldn’t tell where it was, it’s out for delivery today.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

I’d open a case with usps. I had a priority mail item in that status for week with no scan after its initial scan. The buyer suggested I open a case, which I did Friday. While usps couldn’t tell where it was, it’s out for delivery today.

Thank you Chad, that is encouraging.

Indeed I reached out to the seller after that note and he was kind enough to open a case. It seemed best to come from an American citizen.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A recent package sent by Canada post from and to a Canadian address took 10 days to arrive at my home and the tracking didn't update for a week. Ordered from RELIK's in Canada in Ontario to Montreal, and usually I get what I order from RELIK'S 2 days after I order, their getting the product shipped was as fast and reliably as usual as it was shipped the day after I ordered on-line ..... I can recommend them for great customer service by the way .... Big Grin )

Canada Post was in the News and they said that the volume of packages they are handling is of record number and even greater than the annual Xmas rush of packages. My local postman told me the same thing when he delivered my package that he was overwhelmed with the volume of packages he has to deliver every day.

I imagine that shipping can always go terribly wrong, but I assume that all shippers are having the same issues, probably even worse when delays in customs clearance and issues in foreign countries may be very variable in delays ?

Reasons for concern I would say yes, but not a reason to panic " YET ", still frustrating if what one is waiting for is rare and valuable.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Overseas shipping during covid-19
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: