Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword wax Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Renaissance Wax source - Highland Hardware         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
I found Renaissance wax for $20 at this site, though shipping is $6. But it was $38 at another site.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.as...rodID=1304

The site Lance mentions (aka Highland Hardware) is the cheapest source that I found for Renaissance Wax a few months ago, and I had spent quite a while looking. The $20 price was for the large size tin. When I ordered from them, the shipment came very promptly.

Renaissance Wax is the protectant that I prefer on almost all of my swords. As Nathan R mentions, it is extremely easy to apply and polish up. (not at all like any car wax that I have used.) I don't cut with my swords, so the finish doesn't get roughed up, and I can't say how well the Renwax would last under cutting conditions. I do dry handle my swords pretty much daily (that's not obsessive, is it? Eek! ). For me, the big advantage to wax versus oil, is that you don't have to worry about depositing any oil throughout the house, wherever you bring the sword(s) or other protected objects.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve;

Good to have feedback about that site for the Renaissance wax, I still hesitate sending my credit card information until I get some independant information confirming that a business is legitimate and gives good service: Maybe I shouldn't wait TOO long to order if a lot of us decide to order at the same time they might run out of the stuff Eek!

Oh, also looking at the site there seems to be some interesting axes there that might be worth considering: Some nice double bit throwing axes and even a bearded axe of ancient pattern and a large Danish axe.

( Edited a few hours later: The deed is done
Razz Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just received the renaissance wax from Highland hardware. About 8 days from the time it was mailed and 10 day from the time ordered.

They also replied quickly to my E-Mail asking for information.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.as...rodID=1304

Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow I'm surprised how well the wax works. When I got my sword we handled it the first night with the original oil and by morning it had some little rust specks in various places. Though since waxing it we have handled many times and let it sit many nights with finger prints all over it and I have yet to see a speck of rust. I'm really impressed with this stuff. And its so easy to put on, wipe on and wipe off. This blade will never see oil again! Laughing Out Loud

Lance
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep! I like the stuff, too. Nobody believes me until they use it, either.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Any need to completely clean the surface before using the renaissance wax or is just a wipe down of any excess oil or grease sufficient. ( I.E. no need to use a degreaser ? )

I plan to always use the same cloth to put the wax on my swords or armour so that in between major applications of wax a quick rub of the wax saturated cloth should be enough as a quick light re-waxing.

I have read that oil over the wax won't unintentionnaly remove this wax: I can see this happening if I use my old breakfree saturated cloth if it's the first thing I grab.

Oh, any negatives using this wax on firearms ? The outside mostly and not as a lubricant for the action ! Might be good to protect blued finish ?

W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Sword Wax         Reply with quote

Jean,

I would definItely paint the inside of the armour with something like Rustoleum. I have been doing this for years on various pieces and it works great. This was suggested to me by the man who made the armour. If anyone should know it would be him. I use my armour for LH and have worn it in some very hot weather and sweated in it for hours at various demos with no ill effects to the inside. The odd dribble on the outside plus horse sweat and slobber needs to be taken care of though.

The Ren wax sounds like a good idea and I may have a go on using it on the OUTSIDE of the armour next time I polish it.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.....they're still a rat"
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, I don't know. I don't think that hard about it.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

That probably means YES it doesn't need a perfectly clean surface to work. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Lance K.

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes it needs a perfectly clean surface, just as with any kind of wax. You don't want anything between the wax and the surface or the wax won't seal, you've negated the purpose of the wax. Also I would imagine as with most waxes an oil or any petrol is going to cut wax. Its just like waxing your car, start clean and keep it clean, if you want the wax to do its job.

Also the wax dries hard, so you can't use the same cloth like you can an oil cloth, as it becomes all crunchy. But the wax is hard, so if you've handled it you can just buff with a soft cloth and it looks good. But if you've cut with the sword and rubbed the wax off you'll have to reapply.

Though once its waxed its like having a stainless sword, its totally sealed. You can handle with no mess, lay it on the bed or couch, wipe finger prints off with your shirt. Its really just hassle free.

Lance
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance thanks for the info: I can use rubbing alcohol as a degreaser I guess easily enough before I apply the wax.

W.R. : I may just decide to use anti- rust paint for the inside of the armour and the renaissance wax for the outside only and for swords.

Actually, I am in no hurry as stuff isn't exactly " rusting before my eyes here " but will probably take care of this before I start wearing the armour for extended periods of time in hot weather.

Sorry Nathan if I am over thinking this, I'm not really that obsessed about it, as much as it may appear, but just very
curious. Wink Laughing Out Loud

And thanks everyone for their input.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword wax
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: