Finished my windlass crossbow
Finally finished my windlass crossbow based on the drawings in the Sir Ralph William Frankland-Payne-Gallwey Book of the crossbow, a lot of work but finally I’m done hope you all like it!

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ][/img]
Fantastic piece! Were any of the components outsourced or did you hand craft all of it in its entirety? Regardless of the answer, bravo.

Also, how well does your crossbow handle the barbed headed bolts? I know that Todd had problems with accuracy when using them in his crossbow builds.
I think its pretty great! Nice work!
Thank you very much! Yes I made every single part, the wheel cages where each a block of steel cut, grinded and welded and the most difficult of all but you learn so much! The trigger has a hardened steel tip soft soldered on and a leaf spring soldered on too so much hidden work

I have not yet tested it but I noticed Tod had problems with a much bigger head on his bolts, this is a pretty small one
Really nice work! I want to hear how it shoots. Have you measured the draw weight?
Great job on the build. I am looking forward to hearing how well it does when you do get a chance to test it.
Do you know what the draw weight is?
Did you make the bolts and heads for them yourself as well?
Well done, Fantastic!
This is really excellent - well done. Please do post about how it shoots, and also draw weight and draw/powerstroke measurements if you have a chance. Thanks!
Duncan Hill wrote:
This is really excellent - well done. Please do post about how it shoots, and also draw weight and draw/powerstroke measurements if you have a chance. Thanks!

What he said, and kudos! It looks very nice.
Thank you all for your kind words! :-) I do make the bolts but not the bolt heads, making the curved wood fletching was a pain in the ass but I like a challenge and I like to keep it autenthic

I have have only tried it a few shots and it penetrated a piece of pine about 2cm with the square tip but I have no way to testing the draw weight at the moment but I would guess it is between 400 lbs

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: