Help identifying garment/armour
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I don’t usually feel the need to post because of that beautiful “Search” function. At any rate, I’m not entirely sure what this garment is. Is this a brigandine, or something similar? I feel like it is, but I thought I’d try to get some input (I’m pretty new to 14th Century stuff) It looks to be worn on top of mail shirt and gambeson/aketon. Seems like a lot of protection, but who can blame them? Most of the men in the painting appear to be wearing the same thing.
Image from Belgium, 1350’s.

Thanks fellas!
Clif

Attachment: 102.2 KB
F03AC0C6-49E7-4946-A29B-5B1641CA2BC4.jpeg

Your photo is so blurry, it is very difficult to make out any detail. Sorry. Best I can say is it looks like cloth.
Here’s a wider shot. I was having trouble formatting it to fit. I feel like they’re all wearing slightly different patterns of the same thing. I’m not necessarily focused on that one guys.

Attachment: 167.19 KB
D1C94AF0-429C-405E-8D17-A01AC3047FFD.jpeg

Yeah, that's a coat of plates.

As simple as that :D .
Cool, pretty much confirms what I was thinking. Thanks Augusto!
Yeah, the standard setup, also frequently seen in Bold. MS 264, the 'Romance of Alexander':
From the knee upwards, vertically stitched aketon, mail haubergeon or paunce, blue pair of plates, and finally the rolled cyclas.
Fantastic, guys! Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: