My new katzbalger from Manning Imperial
Hi all

Ever since I bought my Arms & Armor katzbalger I've wanted more examples of this kind of sword. A while ago I sent two pictures to Manning Imperial (MI) of a katzbalger I found here in the albums. In the process of making the sword MI asked if I wanted by knives - which I did - and we found a picture of katzbalger scabbard that served as inspiration.
Yesterday I got the following pictures of what MI had made for me :-) ... As soon as they get to Denmark I'll post some specs and try to write my first review. Until then I just like looking at the pictures :-)

Attachment: 13 KB
normal_15143_b.jpg
Hilt of the original katzbalger

Attachment: 6.73 KB
normal_15143_a.jpg
Full view of the original

Attachment: 75.4 KB
hilt_in_scabbard_close.jpg
Hilt in scabbard close up

Attachment: 93.58 KB
in_scabbard_all.jpg
In scabbard full view

Attachment: 63.7 KB
katzbalger_prime.jpg
The blades
:eek:

(I'd say something more constructive, but I'm totally at a loss for words. Ye gods, that's a beautiful sword.)
Well let me be the first to post: Wow, nice new baby you got there!

Congrats, they did a great job.
I love katzbalgers :)
I love the hilt work on this one Soren.

Another great one!
Søren, I have to tell you that this is one of my favorite antiques of the type I've seen. It's been both on eBay and Czerny's (or maybe Hermann Historica?) in the last couple years and I have seen it in an old photocopied auction catalog as well. I'm not sure if the original is 15th/16th century or merely an antique replica, but regardless of the origin, the details of that original call to me. I particularly like the deep fullers and detailed ricasso area. I'm also drawn to how the pommel is not only flowing right into the grip but all the way down to the guard. I've been wanting for years to get a reproduction made of this piece and I'm thrilled to see you go ahead and do it! An amazing piece by the looks of it. I wish only that I could see it first hand. Very impressive work by Manning Imperial and a wonderful choice on your part.
Very nice, Søren! Congratulations! May I ask how long it took from order to completion?
Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.
Soren,
Just .......WOW! Thats a very cool peice. I have agonized over buying the
A&A version, but now I may have to get decisive.

Happy for you in my envy,
Doug
Hi all

Thanks for the kind words! I love all the little details that Craig seems to have gotten just right - like the "flower" at the peened end of the tang (just visible on the photos he got of the original).
I ordered the piece late november 2003.
One change from the original is that the original doesn't come to a point but has at rounded tip but I asked for a point so Craig made it slightly pointy for me :)
The by knives were inspired by the attached photo.

Søren

Attachment: 15.59 KB
normal_katzbalger_and_by-knives.jpg
Katzbalger with by-knives
Just wanted to add that the scabbard was inspired by this attached photo. I acutally think I got all the photos from myArmoury in one way or another (albums or forums) .. so a big thanks to myArmoury! This piece wouldn't have been possible without this great website!

Søren

Attachment: 41.3 KB
katzbalger scabbard.jpg
Katzbalger scabbard
Very, very nifty! Katzbalgers are WAY too cool, and yours is a particularly tasty version! Congrats!

Gordon

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: