Type XIX Longswords by EB Erickson and A&A
Here are three 16th century styled longswords with an Oakeshott Type XIX blade. Each one has a hilt made by E.B. Erickson and a blade by Arms & Armor. The scabbards are also made by Arms & Armor.

Type XIX blades are characterized by having a short ricasso and a flattened hexagonal cross-section. Incised lines following multiple fullers are often a common feature as can be seen in these examples.

This type of blade saw a long-lived period of use, extending from the high Middle Ages until nearly the end of the Renaissance period. They are all-purpose blades being relatively stiff and robust with keen edges and a sharp point. They're balanced for both the cut and thrust and are suitable for many types of targets.

These pieces are late period examples and are right at the height of sword development. They're mated to complex, compound guards that offer a great amount of hand protection.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The above sword is based on this piece located in a private collection:
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The above sword is based on this piece located in a private collection:
[ Linked Image ]

And here is another example of the type:
[ Linked Image ]
Other images: http://pics.myArmoury.com/german_hh_1520b.html and http://pics.myArmoury.com/german_hh_1520c.html

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The above sword is based on this piece located in The Wallace Collection, London (Cat. No. A.491).
[ Linked Image ]

You don't often see high quality swords like this replicated. Oakeshott Type XIX swords have become my all-time favorite due to their jack-of-all-trades nature. The flattened hexagonal cross-section of the blade allows for sharp cutting edges capable of robust cuts while the blade's stiffness and general "meatiness" create a hell of a thruster as well. I still really like the highly specialized and unusual pieces that weapon development has left us, but these all-arounders really have really grabbed me. A lot of times, such things can be full of compromises and concessions but this type of blade really balances those out in a great way as far as I'm concerned.
Incredible craftsmanship and style. Amazing.
Thanks Nathan.

I'm torn between those first two beauties.

It seems the hex section / chisel edge could be an adaptation that would hold up better against plate armor than a thin lenticular edge. In line with this hypothesis, one starts to see this type of edge arising on the later XIII swords.

Feel free to test this hypothesis against some steel garbage cans. ;)

- Doug
I really love that second sword. Iirc, you showed the WIP or original photos earlier. Glad to see it completed!
I'm green with envy Nathan. If ever I were to branch out into late period swords, this is how I'd do it. Your collection is always spot on.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: