Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help with making a greatsword out of wood. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ali Zufer

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Help with making a greatsword out of wood.         Reply with quote

A short backstory. I did Montante in a local club for a few weeks, but had to stop due to time constraints. Since I want to continue practice what I learnt there at home, I've decided to try and make a greatsword out of wood.

That being said, I'm gonna need help with a few things. The dimensions I thought of were this:

120cm blade, 50cm handle for a total of 170cm (almost my own height, I am rather short). I estimate the total weight to anywhere from 2.2-2.5 kg.

That being said, I don't know how much the crossguard and pommel should weigh, to make the wooden version as balanced as possible and close to a real greatsword. I was wondering if anyone who knows a bit more about these swords than I do could help me out here a bit

The second point is how to make the whole handle/crossguard/blade setup. I do not have the materials to make it one-piece, so I wonder what the best way to attach the handle to the blade would be. I do not think making a tang is a good idea as that would most likely just break. Thought of screwing it on perhaps? Would that be good, or would it be too weak?

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can further this project, it would be helpful.

Correcting misconceptions with misconceptions is not the greatest idea and should seek to be avoided at all costs.
Henry R. Gower

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Greatsword out of wood         Reply with quote

My father, who was a European-trained (apprenticeship system) cabinet maker, made me a number of swords out of wood when I was about 9-10. He made one of those as a great sword, approximately. He made the "blade" pommel and grip out of oak, all one piece. He cut it out on a band saw after first drawing the shape. The cross guard he made separate and jointed it across, like a dovetail joint, with half the depth of wood carefully chiseled out so that when the cross guard was glued with hide glue to the rest of the sword, it was perfectly flush. I still have it, believe it or not. The most difficult part would be that joint. I cannot imagine doing that so flush and even, but obviously, with know-how, it is doable.

Henry
Mike O'Hara

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Wooden swords         Reply with quote

Hi Ali

Due to high cost of getting things in NZ, I routinely make wasters for our club, including a few of montante length.

Agree with Henry, the blade and grip have to be one piece, nothing else will provide the strength in use, especially if you hit a pell.

There are other options for the joint for the guard to the blade that work just fine.

Pommels can be readily made from lead.

Long story short, I have a step by step for how I make the wasters that I am happy to share, perhaps PM me with an email address.

regards
mike

MIke O'Hara

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help with making a greatsword out of wood.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic