4 pc Bauernwehr set by Tod
HI All,

Years ago I made a Bauernwehr set for Nathan based on a painting (which I have now misplaced = how I hate computers) and I always loved it. Loved it then and loved it now, so I thought I would make a set for stock.

The Germans loved antler grips on their knives and so this being a bauernwehr and having antler grips makes this piece as German as it gets. They also seemed to have a thing for multi piece ensembles.

The main knife is a 'Farmers defence' so basically a utility knife, part tool, part weapon and the nagel, (knuckle stud) hints toward its martial status and the heavy single edged, but not very long blade towards its utility. The blade is 11.5"/29cm and the two smaller knives are 4.25"/11cm and 4'/10cm. The last implement is a pricker.

The role of the pricker has long been debated, but as far as I can tell, it is part eating utensil and part multi-tool for perhaps honing a knife, but poking holes in leather and harness, undoing ropes, digging stones out of shoes......etc.

The scabbard is made from several pockets of leather covered in a single outer which is carved with a floral motif. The original was carved, but a little indistinct, so I just used and appropriate style pattern.

The handle scales are red deer antler and the main knife has hollow rivets and the smaller ones have solid rivets.

I hope you like it.

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 126.18 KB
IMG_7562.jpg

Attachment: 143.56 KB
IMG_7561.jpg

Attachment: 147.14 KB
IMG_7563.JPG

Attachment: 143.26 KB
IMG_7564.jpg

Attachment: 134.62 KB
IMG_7565.JPG

Attachment: 141.57 KB
IMG_7566.jpg

Very nice, I love seeing more Bauernwehren!
Also, is this the painting you had in mind?

Attachment: 213.6 KB
messerscabbard_120.jpg

I love this. A gorgeous set! Well done Tod, thanks for sharing this.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: