Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with handling qualities of a few Albions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chip F.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

+1 for the Lancaster. I've owned mine for about 4 years now and it remains perhaps my favorite sword in terms of handling. Extremely nimble and quick, excellent point control and better at cutting than most would think for a type XV.

In terms of flexibility, the sharp taper allows for some flex near the tip of the blade, but for the most part it is rigid thanks to the "flat diamond" geometry.

I get the sense that the type XV tends to be a love it or hate it sword with regards to aesthetics. I'll admit that I was unsure myself at first glance, but the lines of the sword grew on me and now that I've owned one for some time, I find it a very beautiful design.

I wrote a full review of the Lancaster here in case you want to take a look: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.35999.html

The Vegas trip sounds like a great idea - you'll know the right choice when you've handled them all. Best of luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong Big Grin
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chip F. wrote:
+1 for the Lancaster. I've owned mine for about 4 years now and it remains perhaps my favorite sword in terms of handling. Extremely nimble and quick, excellent point control and better at cutting than most would think for a type XV.

In terms of flexibility, the sharp taper allows for some flex near the tip of the blade, but for the most part it is rigid thanks to the "flat diamond" geometry.

I get the sense that the type XV tends to be a love it or hate it sword with regards to aesthetics. I'll admit that I was unsure myself at first glance, but the lines of the sword grew on me and now that I've owned one for some time, I find it a very beautiful design.

I wrote a full review of the Lancaster here in case you want to take a look: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.35999.html

The Vegas trip sounds like a great idea - you'll know the right choice when you've handled them all. Best of luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong Big Grin

Thanks for the feedback, Chip! And yes, I'd read your review of the Lancaster...very well done review and excellent photos! I appreciate you taking the time to review it for us.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My apologies for resurrecting an old post, but since it is directly related, hopefully I'll get a pass.

I'd like to thank everyone here who weighed in with the advice, input, and observations. I didn't end up going to Combatcon in 2019, but I did finally make it last year (2022). I got the opportunity to handle many different Albions at their booth, and even came home with a couple.

Without drawing out the suspense any more than is necessary, I ended up buying the Chevalier...and the Vassal. Laughing Out Loud

The Chevalier had not been on my original list (although the Oakeshott was), but when I saw it in person and held it, it was love at first sight. I know the Oakeshott and Chevalier have many fans, and I can completely understand why. For having such long, early period blades, they are remarkably nimble feeling (at least to my untrained hands), and very light and lively. And the combination of hollow-grind and fuller is a beautiful look.

I went back the next day and bought the Vassal. I was pleasantly surprised by the stiffness of the blade. I can see now what Lloyd Winter was saying about how stiff the Vassal is, my example was similar in that way. I ended up selling it a while later, since I was reducing my collection and between the Vassal and the Chevalier, it wasn't even close. What the trip helped me discover was that the Kingmaker/ Burgundian were no longer on my list. They look gorgeous, but they didn't do anything for me in terms of the feel. I also ruled out any of the Type XVI single-handers. The Squire and Prince had been swords I'd seriously considered picking up for years, and when I held them in person, I was extremely disappointed in the feel. They are popular models, so I know it's just my own quirky opinion, and not a reflection on the design or quality of the swords.

Over the years, my Albion collection has now included the Crecy, Sempach, Laird, Knight, Vassal, and Chevalier. Of those, the only sword I still own is the Chevalier, however, the Sempach stayed in the family, and I will be buying it back shortly.

I've narrowed down my next Albion to either the Condottiere or the Caithness. Either would be somewhat safe choices, if my logic holds up; Since I've owned the Knight and the Laird, I have a good idea what to expect the blade of the Caithness to feel like, and although I slightly prefer the aesthetics of the Laird, the cross and peen block were all way too sharp for my taste...like I had to be careful not to injure myself with my own sword.

As for the Condottiere, even thought the blade type is very different from my beloved Chevalier, I notice that their stats for weight, balance point, length, etc. are nearly identical. Because of this, I would expect them to handle quite similarly. If that's incorrect, please correct me. All I know is I love the feel of the Chevalier, and I'm no longer intimidated by the blade length, which was what knocked swords like the Condottiere out of the running for me before.

I'll close with a couple photos (if I can figure out how to attach them).

Last edited by D. S. Smith on Sun 13 Aug, 2023 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
John Dunn

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Swords         Reply with quote

I have a condottiere on order from March 2022. I am hoping to get it in the next few months.

So hopefully it will meet my expectations
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Swords         Reply with quote

John Dunn wrote:
I have a condottiere on order from March 2022. I am hoping to get it in the next few months.

So hopefully it will meet my expectations

That's awesome John, congrats! Please post photos and give us your impressions when you get it. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with handling qualities of a few Albions
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: