Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > George R.R. Martin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm still in shock over the death of Robb, one of my favorite characters. I like Jon too, but I'm somewhat dissappointed in his predictable (to me) ascendance to the position of Lord Commander of the Wall. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the book to come out in the USA (in three days)! In celebration I just ordered the rest of the series in Hardcover.

By the way, I am new to posting in this forum, although I have been reading it for several months. Greetings all, and I look forward to many a productive discussion.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
I'm still in shock over the death of Robb, one of my favorite characters. I like Jon too, but I'm somewhat dissappointed in his predictable (to me) ascendance to the position of Lord Commander of the Wall. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the book to come out in the USA (in three days)! In celebration I just ordered the rest of the series in Hardcover.

By the way, I am new to posting in this forum, although I have been reading it for several months. Greetings all, and I look forward to many a productive discussion.

Yeah I'm seriously aggravated about Robb's death something that was only slightly mitigated by Tywin's unlamented demise. I suspect that the reanimated Lady Stark is going to make the Frey's wish they had never been born.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I suspect that the reanimated Lady Stark is going to make the Frey's wish they had never been born.

One can only hope.

Yeah, I was a little broken-up about Robb, too, even though I saw that one coming (Walder Frey never struck me as someone willing to make amends).

Yep, I went on Amazon and ordered books 1-4 in Hardcover for a decent price. I haven't read any of the series in over 3 years now, so I really need to re-read the first three. So, I'll have plenty of reading to do as of November 10th... *crosses fingers*

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

EXACTLY? Jeeze what a dumb move, what was Rob thinking? Sheesh you can't trust Frey any further then you can throw him. I was expecting a miraculous escape though.

Now I'm wondering is Bran ever going to get over this annoying paralyzed thing?

Ryan C.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is how Rick Barrett and I thought Longclaw should look Wink

http://www.bwbfanclub.com/co_longclaw.php
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: coming to HBO         Reply with quote

I'm assuming George R. R. Martin fans won't mind if I resurrect this thread. Happy

HBO will be producing "A Song of Fire and Ice" as a television series. The good news is that it looks like Mr. Martin will be involved in the production and writing at least one episode a season.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.h...=1&p=0

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Marco Signore

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Surely I'll be the one voice out of the choir here, but I really DON'T like the works of Martin. I've read several years ago (back in 1998) the first two volumes of the saga, and I found them too confusing, boring and one of the farthest works from my kind of fantasy literature.
I think I will stick to the Wheel of time (that sometimes falls into boredom as well) or better with the Recluce saga and other works of authors like Modesitt. And I really love magic in fantasy...
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: coming to HBO         Reply with quote

Oh great and I got rid of HBO just a bit ago.

On the topic of being upset about people dying I think I miss The Hound the most. Definitely some great books.

Pamela Muir wrote:
I'm assuming George R. R. Martin fans won't mind if I resurrect this thread. Happy

HBO will be producing "A Song of Fire and Ice" as a television series. The good news is that it looks like Mr. Martin will be involved in the production and writing at least one episode a season.

www.viking-shield.com
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: coming to HBO         Reply with quote

Jim Adelsen wrote:

On the topic of being upset about people dying I think I miss The Hound the most. Definitely some great books.

Pamela Muir wrote:

Drat it Jim, you have to give us a spoiler warning, I have not read the latest installment yet. Razz

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marco Signore wrote:
Surely I'll be the one voice out of the choir here, but I really DON'T like the works of Martin. I've read several years ago (back in 1998) the first two volumes of the saga, and I found them too confusing, boring and one of the farthest works from my kind of fantasy literature.
I think I will stick to the Wheel of time (that sometimes falls into boredom as well) or better with the Recluce saga and other works of authors like Modesitt. And I really love magic in fantasy...

I don't think anyone is going to jump on you too hard, different strokes and all that. Having said that

I'm glad that you added that bit about the Wheel of Time falling into boredom. For me it fell into apathy. When it became obvious that Jordan was just using it as a cash cow by continually creating new story lines, new characters and ressurecting dead characters willy nilly, just to sell a few thousand extra books there came I point that I really just did not care anymore. It may be that when he finally finishes the series off I will read it, but I sort of doubt it.

Trent Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: lol         Reply with quote

LOL clearly your not the only one!! there are amazing book! I CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE TO COME OUT!!
Trenty!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I'm glad that you added that bit about the Wheel of Time falling into boredom. For me it fell into apathy. When it became obvious that Jordan was just using it as a cash cow by continually creating new story lines, new characters and ressurecting dead characters willy nilly, just to sell a few thousand extra books there came I point that I really just did not care anymore. It may be that when he finally finishes the series off I will read it, but I sort of doubt it.

I agree. I read the first 6-7 WoT books before I gave up on it. For me it became something of a literary soap-opera, with story lines constantly being left hanging forever and nothing discernable going on. I'm not a big fan of the overuse of magic as a plot device. I far prefer Martins work. My only criticism is he takes too long to get the books written and I have trouble remembering who the plethora of characters are.

I'll be eager to see what HBO does with it.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm curious to see what they do with this too. Part of me is very eager to see this on screen but another part of me is very wary of what they'll make of the books as a TV series. They're long and complicated with lots of characters who come and go - never great for movie adaptations but just possible that they'll get away with it if they do one book per season as they seem to be planning.

To do this justice will require a HUGE budget; it'll be horrible if they try to do all the arms and armour in this series in some cheap and tacky way - the same goes for the cast and the locations too. I hope HBO manage to maintain some high production values! I wonder if they'll get the audience and the worldwide market they will need in order to sustain a project of this size?

What concerns me more is that I just don't think I'll have the time to watch that amount of TV. It's unusual to embark on developing a series knowing before the outset that it'll need many seasons to complete the project! This thing really will run for YEARS (if it doesn't get cancelled half-way through...!).

Let's hope GRRM manages to complete the books before the TV series catches up with him!
Wink
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I far prefer Martins work. My only criticism is he takes too long to get the books written and I have trouble remembering who the plethora of characters are.

Ditto that, in fact I've resolved not to read any more of them until he finishes the series. At that point I'll start over from the beginning and read it through to the end.

Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: coming to HBO         Reply with quote

Ouch. Sorry. It feels like I read it so long ago I didn't even think about it. You better get to reading that one.

Russ Ellis wrote:
Jim Adelsen wrote:

Pamela Muir wrote:

Drat it Jim, you have to give us a spoiler warning, I have not read the latest installment yet. Razz

www.viking-shield.com
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Ditto that, in fact I've resolved not to read any more of them until he finishes the series. At that point I'll start over from the beginning and read it through to the end.

Not a bad idea - I bought A Feast for Crows when it was published. I read the rest of the series voraciously after I was introduced to them and twiddled my thumbs and got irritated along with everyone else waiting for the next book - but then having got it I just wasn't that taken with it and I'm only just getting into it and reading it properly now.

I have higher hopes for A Dance with Dragons - I hope he can deliver![/i]
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I'll be eager to see what HBO does with it.

Well having watched a lot of HBO's series over the years and how much fantasy can get mangled on commercial television channels (and I include SciFi for purposes of commercial here) I think it should be at the least interesting, at the best well done. HBO has one big advantage over most all other channels...they aren't constrained on time limits to make room for commercials and don't have to limit the dialogue or violence levels for FCC guidelines.

For a good comparison on what a good show would be on HBO compared to one "changed" to conform to FCC guidelines if, say SciFi did it, you can watch an episode of on A&E of the Sopranos and compare it to what's on HBO or DVD for the series. So I am naturally glad to see it being done on HBO and not SciFi or any other channel if it has a chance to be great.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:

Well having watched a lot of HBO's series over the years and how much fantasy can get mangled on commercial television channels (and I include SciFi for purposes of commercial here) I think it should be at the least interesting, at the best well done. HBO has one big advantage over most all other channels...they aren't constrained on time limits to make room for commercials and don't have to limit the dialogue or violence levels for FCC guidelines.

For a good comparison on what a good show would be on HBO compared to one "changed" to conform to FCC guidelines if, say SciFi did it, you can watch an episode of on A&E of the Sopranos and compare it to what's on HBO or DVD for the series. So I am naturally glad to see it being done on HBO and not SciFi or any other channel if it has a chance to be great.

I've been hugely disappointed by the SciFi channels efforts (other than Battlestar Galactica). I caught their Grendel the other night and my goodness, what a pile of feces. It went beyond simply bad to ridiculous. If HBO can bring the production values to GRR's work that they've displayed with Rome it might work fairly well. Any issues I have with Rome concern accuracy, the overall style is pretty good.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed - at least they have a certain amount of freedom in respect of the style and use of arms and armour in a fantasy series; none of us can complain about a lack of historical accuracy! Razz
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've been hugely disappointed by the SciFi channels efforts (other than Battlestar Galactica). I caught their Grendel the other night and my goodness, what a pile of feces. It went beyond simply bad to ridiculous. If HBO can bring the production values to GRR's work that they've displayed with Rome it might work fairly well. Any issues I have with Rome concern accuracy, the overall style is pretty good.

Yep, you can really see the production and budget issues in these series when they are broadcast. Of course HBO spent over a $100 million on the first year's Rome series and they probably spent only a couple of percentage points of that on the Grendel series you mentioned. So it all depends upon what the producers want to spend for the project.

Of course, as has been mentioned by others, you can make up from scratch the concepts for the sets and props used in a fantasy series, so you aren't limited to having to research and reproduce "exact" copies of your sets or props for this kind of a project.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > George R.R. Martin
Page 6 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: