Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone making custom iron blades? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Fri 12 Apr, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Anyone making custom iron blades?         Reply with quote

Hi again. I have a fellow asking me about having a Classical-period dagger blade made of a material that would be more historically-accurate than commercial tool steel; I suppose as close to bloomery-smelted wrought iron as possible. Can anyone tell me some bladesmiths who work with materials like this and take on commissions?
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Apr, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rick Furrer, perhaps?

http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/

EDIT: Rick would probably be quite expensive to commission. He used to sell billets of his take on Wootz, as well as other metals. You may possibly be able to purchase raw materials for your project that way, if he does in fact still sell billets. It would never hurt to contact the man either way.
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone making custom iron blades?         Reply with quote

Dan D'Silva wrote:
Hi again. I have a fellow asking me about having a Classical-period dagger blade made of a material that would be more historically-accurate than commercial tool steel; I suppose as close to bloomery-smelted wrought iron as possible. Can anyone tell me some bladesmiths who work with materials like this and take on commissions?

In North America you could ask Lee Sauder, Darrell Markewitz, Jake Powning ... you could see who smelted the blooms for the NOVA muskets vs. armour episode ...

A blade like that will be a significant investment of cash, so I would advise investing the time to look through the academic experts on Iron Age swords like Effi Photos, Imma Killian-Dirlmeier, Schmitt, and Marek Verčík who I cite in chapter 5 of my PhD thesis and the occasional blog post or magazine article. It would be a shame to invest all that money and danger only to make something that does not match the best archaeological evidence, and that evidence is written up in Greek and German.

www.bookandsword.com
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could be that Owen Bush works in bloomery iron as well.
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. I've started sending e-mails, and I have let him know that it's likely to be an expensive project.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone making custom iron blades?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic