Thickness of Estoc / Tuck Blade
I am having a great deal of difficulty finding detailed info in regards to the typical blade thickness, width and distal taper of Estocs / Tucks. I have seen it written before that they are notably thicker and have substantially stiffer blades than more "standard" sword types of their time.

I'm also interested to know what the more common blade geometry profiles of Estocs were. From what I gather diamond, hollow-ground diamond, triangular and square examples are known? I have seen one (can't remember where) in museum photos that looked like it may have had a T-section blade or a blade with a cross section like a cross with equal length arms.

So what is out there in regards to specific blade information on this unique form of the sword? Any insights in advance would be greatly appreciated.
Here's one I had saved. Maybe from myArmoury 16th C thread? I also find Pinterest an amazing source of images of antiques when I'm looking for inspiration or guidance.
It appears the attached has a hollow ground square (diamond) or triangular section blade, of possibly 16-18mm thick? It must be very thick. I'd guess you could well be looking to a base thickness of 15 mm considering that ricasso thicknesses of 9-12mm were common on rapiers.
Though I'm afraid I can't cite any documented examples to support that.

Attachment: 26.6 KB
[ Download ]
Here's one!:
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/27434
Bren O,

Thanks for finding those examples - They appear to be substantially thicker than I even imagined. Much appreciated!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: