Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Black Prince Helm Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alfredo M.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Black Prince Helm         Reply with quote

To All,

I have not visited this forum for quite some time and would like to apologize in advance if this question or discussion has already been posed.

I will be giving a presentation on helmets from the Roman period through the Medieval period. Nothing too involved just a general overview of the most notable helmet types that folks either see in movies or have never really seen.

One of the helmets that I would like to discuss is the iconic great helm. Recently while I was surfing Google, aside from all the examples that are shown, the one that intrigued me the most is the helmet of King Edward….the Black Prince. I was able to find a few photos of this helmet in good detail from every side EXECPT the side with the fleur de lys.

I must have spend more than 6 hours surfing around and there is not ONE photo showing that design in any detail. I found a few drawings but folks posted that the drawings were incorrect.

To this end, I kindly ask if anyone has photos of the original helmet that they are willing to share showing the exact design of the fleur de lys. Excellent reconstructions are welcome but I always prefer the real artifact.

I went as far as to request details and photos from the Canterbury Cathedral where the helmet is housed but I did not hear back from them prompting me to do the Google search.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not the best pic but....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/3c/52/d03c52b8bad26bfb47e023f002617a97.jpg

Also, see this thread:

https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20202
Alfredo M.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I have the photos you linked to and also saw that thread. Unfortunately in that thread there were issues with the drawing.

I agree...those photos unfortunately are not good for the fleurs de lys. But they are great for everything else.

Best

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Black Prince Helm
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic