British 1889 Pattern Sergeant's Sword
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

A sword for sergeants at the infantry (1889 Pattern Sergeant's Sword). Unlike officer's swords, this is a "fighting sword" that is good for both cut and thrust. The condition is overall very good. The only thing to note is that the small wooden leaflets in the scabbard are gone, which means that the sword is not really stuck in it. It only matters if you go out in battle somewhere in British India or in the Cape Colony and I guess you will not…

[ Linked Image ]

Here are more pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eiXfXTyzlP8gkYQH2

There is a good movie by Matt Easton on Youtube where such a sword is recorded. Search for "Sergeants' swords - 1796 to 1889 pattern" and you will find the film. I also have more pictures for the serious speculator.

The inscriptions on the sword mean the following:

- The blade is made by Wilkinson in October 1891
- The sword (or the blade) has been inspected at Enfield 1898, 1899 and 1902
- A bending test of the blade was made and marked it with an "X" (which means approved)
- The blade is labelled "WD" for the War Department
- The scabbard is inspected in June 1894
- The hilt has been inspected in July 1897

It also says "2. ST.L.I" which is the regiment that the value belongs to. "2" stands for the second battalion, "St" is the beginning of the name and "L.I." stands for light infantry. I don't know which regiment it belonged to but my best guesses are the 80th Regiment of Foot (Staffordshire Volunteers) or 2nd Volunteer Battalion: 3rd Staffordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps. Of course, there is a good chance that in-depth research can give the answer and thereby increase the sword's value.

The swords of the sergeants are rare because they were made in fewer examples than the officers' swords (they bought their own and when they took leave they kept swords while the sergeants sword belonged to, and stayed in, the regiment). The reason why I sell is to finance another purchase when my collection changed direction.

I’m asking for $530/£400/470 Euro or best your best bid.

Shipping costs are about $80 to the US, and $50/£35/42 Euro within the EU but please contact me with your address and I will give the exact cost.
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

PRICE REDUCED TO: $435/£330/€380 or best your best bid

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: