Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting targets- Saplings? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Thanks for the help patrick. I was thinking about that myself. I am debating on saving up for a sempach, or buying the books and taking around $100 to buy them. I'll probably borrow one from the library. I was wondering if you could throw out some suggestions on any good arms & armour books it would be highly appreciated. I have total respect for swords, but the only one's i've had were really bad. Sad Sorry if I gave you the impression that I would try and use my sword funtionally again, it's hanging on display with it's sheath in my room. Happy.

I wish i could get the money for an albion.......stupid child labor Laws...

-Michael F.

Please refer to our article here: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_books_team.html

This will give you numerous selections both in the history of the sword and the how-to of it's use. Most of them aren't that expensive. The Sempach is really an excellent sword of that type and I enjoy mine very much. You may want to consider some of the pending longsword designs that Albion has coming up, such as the Agincourt, Ringneck, etc. They should offer an equal level of functionality at a slightly lower cost. By the time you've finished saving they'll probably be in production.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An English Civil War general (I believe it was George Monk) said that you should never issue out broadswords to soldiers, but rapiers only, because broadswords would all be broken within a fortnight from the men trying to "cut limbs with them" for firewood, whereas they wouldn't bother trying with a rapier. He forgot to mention that they might try to roast a rabbit on one, however...

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm defiantly going to get The Swordsman's companion and a few books by oakeshott too. Patrick you were right about just keeping my sword on the wall. I went to get my sword and hang it on my wall because it was resting on the sofa. Now, i don't really think the epoxy holds even 2 lbs very well because when i went into my living room, my sister was sitting on the sofa, and had THROWN my sword on the side of it. She has no respect of and sword or weapon, she wanted my when I got the sword to keep it on the wall and never touch it again! I noticed my sword was on the ground next to my sister, the pommel came off again. She didn't even know it! Well, I'm going to glue the pommel back on and keep it on my wall for good.
The good news is I have a blank blade that I will be working on today and i'm going to make some blueprints and the finished sword is going to be a celtic long sword (I hope!).

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm probably going to buy an Agincourt, It appealed to me before the Sempach, and it's also less expensive.

Thank you very much!,
Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Now, i don't really think the epoxy holds even 2 lbs very well because when i went into my living room, my sister was sitting on the sofa, and had THROWN my sword on the side of it. She has no respect of and sword or weapon...

It's not the weight of 2 lbs, it's the unusual strain and torsional/shearing forces it was put under. Glad you can still piece it back and hang it up for good.

When I hear the words "NO RESPECT" in conjunction with "SWORD" and/or "WEAPON", I get seriously concerned. Aside from the obvious damage to the weapon, a much graver concern is someone getting hurt. As owners of weapons of any sort, we must be responsible to ensure this doesn't happen.

Michael F. wrote:
... I am debating on saving up for a sempach, or buying the books and taking around $100 to buy them. I'll probably borrow one from the library...

... Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm probably going to buy an Agincourt, It appealed to me before the Sempach, and it's also less expensive...

I applaud your idea about buying or borrowing books. I hope you can have more luck at your library than I have at mine. Sean's list (the one Patrick referred you to) is a good one, and should prove very useful to you.

Also, the Agincourt, though all I have seen are the same conceptual drawing you have, looks to be a very nice piece. I'm sure you will be pleased with either it or the Sempach.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi i did some testing with may Valient Armory swords and posted the results here:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...post559873

unlike your rat-tail sword, mine have full tangs and preformed very well.
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis, where did you buy these swords? Where they in good condition when they arrived? Mine was in thick oil and had a few scratches on the blade.

Thanks!
Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Travis C.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: cutting mediums         Reply with quote

What about a strip of garden hose for a CHEAP and readily available substitute for living bone?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting targets- Saplings?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: