Smith`s mark on the tang: cross on shield. Any analogies?
Has any of you ever seen such a smith`s mark before? attached picture.
It is on the longsword`s tang, dated around 1350-1380, central / eastern Europe.
it`s a cross on a field like shield or heart. It`s 10mm.
I am looking for any analogies, more informations, origins, second one like that or similar marks... Please help if you can. Thanmks in advance!

Attachment: 72.81 KB
s.jpg

Maciej,

I would expect you already know this, but this design is similar to the shield and cross motif on the coinage of the Teutonic Knights. This is the most immediate parallel that I can think of.
yes Peter, thank you, I know this :) as well as it was used on Swiss weapons around since 14th century.
The point is this is a longsword tang, found in Poland, dated around 1350-1380. So, I was wonder if anyone found it on the same place and the same shape/size - simply as repeated mark of the swordmaker.
Anyway, that is also some tip, but on the tang we expect always the unique mark of the maker / smith. Signs or symbols related to nation, religion or order are placed on blades, as more visible place to find them.
However, if there would be any source that can confimes there was some Teutonic workshop using this as their special mark - that would be great.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: