Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fantasy swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Fantasy swords         Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone owned/ knew of any good fantasy swords. I just love those tolkien inspired swords. Ecspeically those leaf blades. I cant get enough of those things. My very first sword was the fantasy kit rae "sword of Vaelen" it was a horrable version with a tiny rat-tail tang and a brass spray painted steel hilt and plastic grip that was chipped. So, if anyone knows any good FUNTIONAL fantasy swords i would love to hear about them.

Thanks!

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out Christian Fletcher's site: http://www.christianfletcher.com/. Angus Trim & Christian produce swords based on the LOTR, in fact I have 3 of them.

Also, John Lundemo at http://odinblades.com/ makes some impressive fantasy leafblade swords.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, Jody Samson does a great variety of different one-of-a-kind and limited-edition fantasy styled swords: http://www.jodysamson.com/

Rick Barrett as well (although in a much higher price bracket): http://www.barrettcustomknives.com/
Take a look at the "Contemporary Weapons" section on his site for fantasy swords...

Al Massey does some nice leafblades, too. I have never ordered from him, but I believe his prices are comparatively very reasonable. Take a look in the gallery on his site: http://designtime.ca/almassey/
This is one of my favorites by him:

Attachment: 28.78 KB
LeafbladedShortsword.jpg

Michael F.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys I really love those jody samson swords! the special edition spatha is a dream come true. Big Grin Rick Barret's "Muse" is very impressive also, a good cutter i bet!

Anyone own a Leaf blade, Celtic, Roman, Fantasy? I would love to hear how they perform, I hear the shape makes really nice cuts.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some good discussion about leafblade performance here:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...de+cutting
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a fantasy leafblade by John Lundemo. Great sword, 36 inch blade, about 48-49 inch total length. About 3,5 lbs in weight. I don't have a proper scale to weigh swords, sadly.

It's the only fantasy sword in my collection, and I can't see myself ever ordering another fantasy sword again, I prefer historical replica's, and hopefully one day antiques, although I can't afford those now. But I'll admit, I really wanted a fantasy leafblade. Big Grin

Here's a link. http://www.odinblades.com/Pages/Ithilcalad.html
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent reccomendations above,
my favourite leafy of the moment would be one from castlekeep,by rob miller,
But i'd happily have one from any of the listed makers here, Cool

Attachment: 63.21 KB
small%20leaf2.jpg

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also agree with Glen about Al Massey,really good pricing on his stuff,some of the pattern welded leafy pics i've seen look really nice,a few forumites have some very nice examples,i have one of his bowies and also picked up some steel stock too,great chap to chat with,
but that said i've spoke to the others mentioned and would reccomend all as good people,
no doubt it may well come down to just seeing more of different peoples work before you decide what you'd really like,
or in a perfect world we could all have one from each, Big Grin
Michael F.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow thank guys! great stuff. Lee, I love that sword you got from castle keep. It almost looks like the Christian Fletcher ranger with a leaf blade, really cool Cool . Castle keep's pattern welding is amazing! I also love the Odinbaldes swords especially the glamdring and celtic swords. Anyone here own a jody samson sword? I love his leaf bladed swords; very nice detailing.

I found this sword as seen at www.armsofvalor.com. It's the High Elven king sword (pretty cheap)
I've bought a few items from this site and thier items are not very high quality (expect some katanas).

What do you think about this sword?

Thanks for the great suggestions!,
Michael F.

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

You might want to check out the "Hafling Sword" at By the Sword. It's a carbon steel, full-tang version of Frodo's Sting sword.
As far as quality: probably about like a Windlass/MRL piece. Not on the Atrim or Albion level, but several orders of magnitude better than the "knife-shop-in-the-mall" 420 stainless trash. Certainly good enough for soft taget cutting purposes. Happy

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Generation_2_Page_3.html
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my pattern welded fantasy leafblade by Al Massey with a cable damascus hilt by Glen Parrell...

Attachment: 34.02 KB
PW Leafblade3Redux.gif

Constant and true.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A nice, inexpensive, fun sword is the Paul Chen/Hanwei Dark Sentinel. Bought one for my son last year for his 13th b-day and we've had a blast with it. When we have cutting practice/ get togethers, it usually gets a real work-out. Slays milk-jugs and pumpkins like no tomorrow. With the extra long grip it's easy to control (one of the reasons I got it for my son).

There have been some who look down upon it, but like I said it's been great fun to have.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: fantasy swords         Reply with quote

Michael-

This is my Jody Samson sword. I am very happy with it. I don't think you could go wrong with anything from him. I haven't really cut with it but it seems pretty wicked, if maybe a bit on the heavy side. Anyway, good luck in your search...

Scott

Attachment: 45.9 KB
IMG_1677.JPG

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can also highly recommend Jody Samson's work.

During our first visit to Albion Nathan Robinson and I handled every JS sword then on the premesis, and there were quite a few. With very rare exception almost every one I handled exhibited good handling characteristics. While many of them were a bit heavier than is now thought desirable, Jody's use of hollow grinding resulted in swords that have very nice dynamic handling qualities.
http://jodysamson.com/

John Lundemo is another smith who is worthy of consideration. I haven't handled any examples of his work, but he does come highly recommended by quite a few collectors.
www.odinblades.com

Christian Fletcher's work is also very nice. Here's a review the I wrote on one of his pieces: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_cf_red.html

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Michael F.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! the jody samson swords have to be my favorite fantasy swords. His swords just make me say "how did he do that?". John lundemo's swords are very nice also, I love the fantasy cutting swords like the Ringare and predator. I also flip out when ever I see a sword with a leaf blade, hand and a half, with a scent stopper or claw with ball pommel. how do they make those things! pure genius. Al massey makes really nice pattern-welded blades also, those are so cool. Big Grin.

The Christian Fletcher swords are also very nice. The first time i saw his "maeglas" sword i just about keeled over.

Great stuff!

-Michael F.

Attachment: 57.63 KB
elvenleafsword1.jpg
here's my favorite fantasy sword so far. (as seen in the gallery of jodysamson.com).

Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a very big fan of Rick Barrett's contemporary work. I've handled a lot of swords he's made, and they never fall short of being immensely impressive. He is on the higher end of the cost curve, but I think you easily get your money's worth. You have to see his swords in person to see the level of detail he goes to with his work.
Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy Scott Steimel wrote:
I'm a very big fan of Rick Barrett's contemporary work. I've handled a lot of swords he's made, and they never fall short of being immensely impressive. He is on the higher end of the cost curve, but I think you easily get your money's worth. You have to see his swords in person to see the level of detail he goes to with his work.

I have to second this also. I've been very impressed by everything I've seen from Rick. I don't know why I forgot about him. Rick is a craftsman of the first order.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fantasy swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic