Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Second attempt at a scabbard: Albion EarlDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marcus Kouma

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Second attempt at a scabbard: Albion Earl         Reply with quote

After finally getting around to picking up a second sword, I decided I'd need to make myself a scabbard for it. I was pretty happy with how the scabbard for my Gallowglass turned out, so I wanted to give it a go for this one as well. The shape of the blade definitely made things a bit more difficult, but I think it came out well.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Marcus Kouma on Sat 29 Dec, 2018 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish I had the time and talent to do this. There are of course professionals who do such beautiful work on Scabbards (DBK, Tod, Fletcher) but its so expensive and (in my experience) hard to recover the costs if you decide not to keep it. After 15 years of collecting I'm only now figuring out which swords I will keep 'forever' and deserve such quality. Most I end up selling.
Marcus Kouma

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I wish I had the time and talent to do this. There are of course professionals who do such beautiful work on Scabbards (DBK, Tod, Fletcher) but its so expensive and (in my experience) hard to recover the costs if you decide not to keep it. After 15 years of collecting I'm only now figuring out which swords I will keep 'forever' and deserve such quality. Most I end up selling.

These two scabbards are the only leather or metal work I’ve ever done, and my woodworking experience is limited mostly to helping others measure and cut boards, so I can only conclude it’s not that hard. It did take a good amount of time, but that was mostly due to my going as slow and carefully as possible since I had no idea what I was doing at any given time, for the most part. What I hard a hard time with was finding time when I felt capable of being sufficiently focused to be as careful and deliberate as needed. I do very much admire the work of the incredibly talented professionals out there and, having done these two, can’t even begin to imagine how they achieve the results they do. They are so often just staggeringly beautiful.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Second attempt at a scabbard: Albion EarlDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic