wooden type XIV that im currently building
Hi all , im a really close to finish my model making final project. As final prject i decided to do a replica of a type XIV sword made with wood and also the scabbard for it.

Right below i left a link with some pictures of the process and some pictures of almost the final piece. ( still missing the belt and the leather on grip )

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as i did doing the project.

https://imgur.com/a/wWMMxfF
Insane! It's very good work indeed and the finished piece is rather awesome.
The blade must be very fragile though. Why did you choose wood to start with?
It seems to me you have the skills and equipment (cnc, belt grinders) to tackle metal (aluminum for sure, not to mention steel).
In any case, great work.
J
Julien M wrote:
Insane! It's very good work indeed and the finished piece is rather awesome.
The blade must be very fragile though. Why did you choose wood to start with?
It seems to me you have the skills and equipment (cnc, belt grinders) to tackle metal (aluminum for sure, not to mention steel).
In any case, great work.
J

thank you very much! :) I'm glad that you like it. The reason is because im currently doing a model making course ( like architectural models , props for cosplay etc...) so we dont have the materials needed like steel and anything to forge.

Also I have to share the machinery with my classmates and i have limited time to do the project hence why i did choose to use wood. ( also I have more experience with this material) and after all from the begining it was supposed to be a replica with no intention to use recklessly ... let say its more for exhibition purpose,or to carry around medieval fairs .

I could have done it thicker but i wanted to look like a real one , thats why its so thin.

I would like for sure to make more in steel but for now i dont have the gear to do it. I have to get stick with wood.
Really remarkable work and finished appearance.

Cheers
GC
Very nice dude!

Quote:
I would like for sure to make more in steel but for now i dont have the gear to do it. I have to get stick with wood.

Have you ever thought about ordering the steel parts from a professional and then to make all the wooden and leather parts by yourself?
Thats what I do for a hobby. Usually Scandinavian knives but the Messer I mentioned in your previous thread, will come without the wooden scales. I want to make them from scandinavian curly birch and then rivet it.
You have some serious skill mate.
Very nice work but would the sword survive the durability and cutting tests on the " FORGED IN FIRE " show ...... ;) :D :cool:

I don't know if you can see the mentioned program in Spain ? Here is a link to the program in case you are not understanding my joke:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=forged+in+fire&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I'm obviously joking. :cool:

There is also a different type of model making that was making precision wooden models intended for sand casting of metal machine parts, like gears etc .....

This type of model making is probably now obsolete but they where still using these methods in the mid 19th century I think !?

To do this extremely precise work one needed to be an elite woodworker and be able to not only get the shape correctly but be as close as possible to the wanted finished dimensions of a cast part in bronze or steel.
hi all , thank you for the messages :)

here i leave a quick update with the finished picture of the product and a few pictures of the leather grip while being made.

https://imgur.com/a/wbI0qHZ

Hope everyone enjoy it !

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: