late 19th-early 20th century swords
This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Folks,

I'm selling several swords from my collection; a photo is attached below. From top to bottom, they are:

- An Italian infantry officer's sword, inter-war but I don't know the pattern year; no scabbard. It's an excellent example of Italian Modernist design. The grip, for so blocky a piece of wood, is surprisingly not uncomfortable.
- A British Pattern 1897 officer's sword, with sword-knot and scabbard. A previous owner put brown tape around the scabbard, presumably to cover a tear in the leather. I have not tried to remove it, being afraid of doing more damage. I believe the cypher dates it to Edward VII's reign.
- A French Model 1882 infantry officer's sword, the one with the weird offset fullers.
- A Japanese officer's dress sword, the kind issued to officers who did not have ancestral heirloom swords; often mistakenly called "police swords". This one is missing most of the grip's wire wrap.
- A bayonet I acquired at some point and know nothing about. I may have ruined it, too; I got it very early in my collecting career, and when it arrived the scabbard, guard, grip, and pommel were uniformly covered with a layer of light-brown paint. I thought the paint wasn't original, and sanded it all off. That may have been a mistake.
- A WWI-era German non-commissioned officer's (I think) sword, no scabbard. The grip is covered with a Bakelite-like polymer, which is cracked at the pommel where the knucklebow enters it. There is no state marking.
- A German (I think) officer's sword; I don't know the model year, but I believe it's pre-1930s. The grip is similar to the 1889, but the guard is much simpler.
- A German infantry officer's sword, possibly for a non-com. The guard's inner shell folds toward the grip. The scabbard's leather is intact, but has shrunk, exposing several inches of blade when the sword is inserted as far as it will go.
- A German officer's sword--Bavarian--with both the guard and the blade cut down; it's very well done, and is possibly a professional job. No scabbard. I'd like to say it was cut for use in trench fighting during WWI, but I have no way of determining that, and in fact the blade isn't particularly sharp.
- A German WWI-era infantry officer's sword. I think this one is also Bavarian. The scabbard's leather suffered some damage about six inches from the chape, bursting the seam. Some previous owner stitched it up, rather clumsily.

I'm offering these at $295 for swords with scabbards, $195 for swords without, and $75 for the bayonet. U.S. shipping is included. I'll accept PayPal, but you'll have to cover the 3% fee. I'll also accept money orders and personal checks. In all cases, I'll ship once the money has been paid into my bank account, generally the day after I deposit a check or transfer from PayPal (but payments received on weekends may take a day or two longer).

I have many more photos at much higher resolution. If you're interested, please send a PM.

Best,

Mark Millman

Attachment: 123.36 KB
[ Download ]
This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Folks,

The British Pattern 1897 officer's sword has sold.

I'm reducing the price of the other swords to $235 for swords with scabbards, $165 for swords without, and $60 for the bayonet, on the same terms described above.

Best,

Mark Millman

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: