Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Making a cheap sword look like an expensive sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
S. Sebok

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Making a cheap sword look like an expensive sword.         Reply with quote

I'm not sure where to post this so I am putting it in off topic. Some of you might be impressed by this as this is my first try at ANYTHING like this. You all know the drill, you want a decent sword like an Albion or hand forged one from Europe, but are on a budget. Theres fewer options out there for us reenactors who want authentic swords but dont want to break the bank. While your options for shapes will be limited I know a way to get decently shaped swords such as Windlass's Type XIV and make them look from cheap modern made stuff, to making them look rather... high end and like something you'd find in the middle ages. https://imgur.com/a/fLHkD9e
Behold. I actually did a bunch of basic work on this, got some cheap 20 dollar goatskin hide, enough to last me for MANY regrips, used some salt water and vinager to antique and remove the glossy finish, and a 20 dollar japanese knife to cut the leather. I used fiebings british tan leather dye for the grip and used neetsfoot oil to seal it. I used some cheap franklin glue company hide glue for the grip and wraped it in nylon cord to give it the texture. Also applied the solution of vinager and salt to "age" the blade then cleaned it with WD40 and a scotch brite pad. I paid like 99 dollars for this sword on closeout back in 2013 or 2014. Now all I need to do is make a scabbard.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Making a cheap sword look like an expensive sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic