M1860 Light Cavalry Saber
A while back, I received the sword pictured in this post as a gift from a friend. A few months later, he saw the sword hanging up in my collection, and I somehow let it slip that I did not think it was genuine, something along the lines of, "I really appreciate it's aesthetic, it's really not important to me that it isn't real."
Since he understandably interpreted what I said as, "Thanks for the fake sword!" this lead to an awkward conversation where he tried to convince me it is authentic without any substantial evidence, so I basically told him I agreed with him to not sound ungrateful.
But I still feel strongly like this is still just a repro sword, probably intended for reenactment. The sword is still sticky with the kind of oil you see on steel items sent from India or whatever, the brass doesn't look like it's ever been polished yet has next to no patina, the manufacturer markings are suspiciously crisp, and the scabbard also looks very good for its age despite not having a drop of any kind of oil on it. He told me the wire wrap around the grip had snapped near the middle, so he clipped off the ends of the wire instead of leaving it dangling.
What do you guys think?

Here is a link to pictures of the sword: https://imgur.com/a/XSAZ1EA

Thanks in Advance!
The crudeness of the blade, grip shape and pommel cant (or lack thereof) makes me think it's fake. Also that it's in such minty condition with no real patina but some oddly new looking rust.
This is a reproduction. The address and company stamp is simply incorrect. Some of these old reproductions are quite well done but the markings and grinds typically give away the truths.

Cheers
GC
Thanks for your input guys, I have had genuine M1840's and -60's pass through my collection, so this one never sat right with me. Don't worry, I won't be sharing your contributions with my buddy, this is just for my own piece of mind. If I'm going to unintentionally belittle my friend's gift, I want to at least know I wasn't wrong! :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: