Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help Identifying This Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Charlie D E.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Help Identifying This Sword         Reply with quote

I inherited this sword from my grandmother-in-law and I was wondering if anyone could identify it. I have been looking online and have found some similar to it, but not exactly like it. Any help is greatly appreciated. A link to better versions and more pics is here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/144214088@N05/ta8CJp
I could not really upload the full pictures here cause of the size limitations.
Thank you in advance for any help!
~Charlie[/url]

Attachment: 183.6 KB
Handle [ Download ]

Attachment: 237.69 KB
Handle Detail [ Download ]

Attachment: 131.75 KB
Blade Pt1 [ Download ]

Attachment: 110.69 KB
Blade tip [ Download ]
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard

William Horstmann and likely the Philadelphia address. A nice, yet diminutive sword from the 1840s-1850s. Likely sold as a dress sword for a militia officer. I am not at my desk but the pommel turns up in one book or another. On one side of the blade should be an imprint of a crowned king, indicating the blade was from the Weyersburg family. This sword was from the decade, or following association with Frederick Widmann and Horstmann bought the other shop (lock, stock and barrel) when Widmann died. Both had serious connections with Germany and Horstmann came to the US from the weaving/tapestry background and guild.

Some will list it as an artillery sword but in truth, non-regulation swords were sold in the thousands and in one of Horace Greely's published works is a description of Horstmann's Philadelphia works with a sword room that contained barrel after barrel of sword blades waiting to be mounted however a customer might prefer. The gilt work on the blade more indicative of the 1840s than the '50s but the sword of that two decades. It most likely had a leather scabbard as even often beat up, the brass scabbards most often remain with the paired sword.

Horstmann&Sons would go on to be huge in the militaria and society business of supplies from canteens to masonic regalia. The primary source for swords and bare blades continued to be from the Weyersburg family.

Cheers
GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help Identifying This Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic