Go to page 1, 2  Next

New Book coming – The Scottish Basket Hilted Sword
I have been corresponding with the Baron of Earlshall who has for been working on his book “the Scottish Basket Hilted Sword” since 1968. Despite the title this mammoth work will also cover British Basket Hilts and when complete should be 9 times the volume of Mazansky’s British Basket Hilted swords. The Baron has now established a Web site to keep people up to date with his progress and hopes to publish next year.

The Website is: http://www.thescottishbaskethiltedsword.co.uk/

The Scottish Basket Hilted Sword
List of Contents
Acknowledgments
Foreword
Ch. I The Etymology of the Word Claymore (includes plates of two handed & early quillon swords).
Ch. II The 15th Century to the mid 16th Century. c.1425-1550.
Ch. III The Mid 16th Century to the End of the 16th Century. c.1550-1600.
Ch. IV The 17th Century. c.1600-1700.
Ch. V 18th Century Silver Basket Hilted Swords. c.1700-1765
Ch. VI The Glasgow School of Armourers. (Partially input - to be completed).
Ch. VII The Stirling School of Armourers.
Ch. VIII The 18th Century: Other Makers and Workshops. (Currently being input).
Ch. IX 18th Century Infantry Basket Hilted Swords of the British Army.
Ch. X 18th Century Cavalry Basket Hilted Swords of the British Army.
Ch. XI Basket Hilted Swords of the 19th Century.
Index

If you are serious about Basket Hilted swords, you must have this book. I know I have been waiting anxiously for its release and with luck it will actually be available in 2011.
The web site is not active yet.
Looks to be a VERY interesting book. I now have your post book-marked and will be checking the website regularly in hope that it will be active soon. Thank you for alerting us to this new work-
I just ran across your post RE: this up-coming book in another forum. I tried the link there and it worked nicely. Here it is as it appears there.

http://www.thescottishbaskethiltedsword.co.uk/
Jim S. wrote:
I just ran across your post RE: this up-coming book in another forum. I tried the link there and it worked nicely. Here it is as it appears there.

http://www.thescottishbaskethiltedsword.co.uk/

This time it did work.

The baron is preparing us for the cost of this book with his comments. While it is sure to be a valuable work and probably worth every penny he will have to charge, I doubt that I will spring for that much. However, that being said, I will follow the progress of the work and have bookmarked the site.
I've read about this book coming for many years and am eagerly excited to see it published! I hope the wait isn't indefinite. There are so many basket-hilts that have not been fully documented. Mazansky's work is fantastic and I can only hope for an additional resource of its caliber that takes such work farther and documents the each sword in its entirety, blade included.
Has anyone seen mention of any actual costings to this book,
definately one i would like if it see's the light of day,
the costings of the other mentioned books on the site seem ok,bringing things up to date do people think we're looking at £50, £100 or far higher
i havent had the chance to see the Mazansky book,always found links when books had already sold,
what is the going rate on that work ? worth the funds,?
Last time i read Nathan say a book was fantastic,lol,i couldnt afford it,and since then its gone up another $200. (Armi Bianche) :(
He referenced Sim Comfort's book on naval swords which cost $300 US, so I am anticipating that the Earlshall book will cost at least as much.
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
He referenced Sim Comfort's book on naval swords which cost $300 US, so I am anticipating that the Earlshall book will cost at least as much.

Given the huge number of illustrations, the number of words and the fact that he is talking about a limited edition of 300 books, I suspect you are looking at something approaching $500, far too rich for me. One of the pretenders to the office of Chief of Clan Gunn has written what will be the best work on the Clan available. He is trying to get enough subscriptions to publish and his cost estimate right now is on the order of 50 - 60 pounds, which is for a relatively small book. I fear that we will never see it in print.
Cathey provided an update on another forum and I thought I would share it here;

Quote:
Hi Guys

We have just received another letter from the Baron of Earlshall and I believe he is now on the last chapter of his life’s work “the Scottish Basket Hilted Sword” which is now up to 5 Volumes, each considerably larger than MAZANSKY (C.) BRITISH BASKET-HILTED SWORDS. Actually if all five volumes are stacked on top of each other the pile would be 10 inches high which gives some insight into the size of this work. Please, if you have any interest in Basket Hilted swords, or know someone who does I urge you to go to the Baron’s web site http://www.thescottishbaskethiltedsword.co.uk and register you interest. The more registrations he has the better he can negotiate to keep the publication price down. Whilst the book is titled the Scottish Basket Hilted Sword it also covers British Basket hilts. The detailed information is enormous and it is heart-warming to know that at least one of our experts is making an effort to leave the knowledge he has acquired over a life time in print so that others may benefit.

The Scottish Basket Hilted Sword by the Baron of Earlshall
List of Contents
Acknowledgements
Foreword
Ch. I The Etymology of the Word Claymore (includes plates of two handed & early quillon swords).
Ch. II The 15th Century to the mid 16th Century. c.1425-1550.
Ch. III The Mid 16th Century to the End of the 16th Century. c.1550-1600.
Ch. IV The 17th Century. c.1600-1700.
Ch. V 18th Century Silver Basket Hilted Swords. c.1700-1765
Ch. VI The Glasgow School of Armourers. (partially input - to be completed).
Ch. VII The Stirling School of Armourers.
Ch. VIII The 18th Century: Other Makers and Workshops. (currently being input).
Ch. IX 18th Century Infantry Basket Hilted Swords of the British Army.
Ch. X 18th Century Cavalry Basket Hilted Swords of the British Army.
Ch. XI Basket Hilted Swords of the 19th Century.

As you can see from the index it covers an enormous time span from the 15th to the 19th Century.

Cheers Cathey
I just signed up. This will be a monumental work when it is published - at what cost is not clear yet, but I am prepared for a significant "sticker shock".
Baron
I'd be keen to see proofs of this book before parting with any cash, not least because we don't have any 'Barons' in the UK! Earls yes, but google the title of 'Baron' to see when they fell out of favour!
It is not a scam, if that is what you are implying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_feudal_barony
Earlshall is legit. The collection at Earshall castle was huge; I know a large portion of the Earlshall collection was parted out and either sold or auctioned through some of the better auction houses (Pat Tougher with Scottish Sword & Shield ended up with several pieces from the Earlshall collection).

I think it's safe to say that Earlshall is familiar with the topic.
Re: Baron
Stephen Wheatley wrote:
I'd be keen to see proofs of this book before parting with any cash, not least because we don't have any 'Barons' in the UK! Earls yes, but google the title of 'Baron' to see when they fell out of favour!

Feudal baronies got the chop after the civil war, but we still have quite a lot of hereditary Barons in both England and Scotland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heredita...ed_Kingdom

Many of the ones listed here are held as subsidiaries of other tiles, but a lot are still extant in their own right. For what it's worth, the House of Lords is also chock full of life peers who are all Barons.

Neil.
Hi guys. Has anyone here registered their interest for this book? If so have you gotten any response? I've emailed the address given on his website a number of times over the last couple of years, but have never received any confirmation
The OP of this thread, Cathey Brimage, seems to have somewhat regular contact with the author. You may want to contact her.

Jonathan
I just read, or rather scanned, the updated information available on the web site. While this will/would be a very important work on the Scottish basket-hilt and apparently an excellent reference, as it is presented on the web site, I have some concerns about it ever being published. I have looked at the site quite a few times over the last five years and almost every time there have been new disclaimers about a publishing schedule, how it will be published and what it may or may not cost - with no real number given - among other things. Certainly this is a significant undertaking and will be an expensive one as well but self-publishing a book should be a fairly straight-forward endeavor. You write the book, gather the illustrations, have it edited and turn it over to a publisher. Apparently Earlshall has to assure himself of a minimum number of subscribers before commencing which is understandable and he is asking for commitments on that score before he is able to provide an accurate estimate of cost. After thirty-one years of work I would think he might be closer to publishing than he apparently is.

If this book comes out in six separate volumes, as appears to be the plan now, I would be interested in subscribing since the cost could be spread over a period of time. However, at my advanced age, I am not certain I would live long enough to receive all volumes.
Just a heads up that the book is about to be released. It was printed today and the run was limited to 200 copies. Price set me back £165.00 plus shipping. It sounds like it will be worth it though. It ended up being 479 pages with 325 b&w photos.

Has anybody else bought a copy yet?
I had asked to be put of the mailing list for this book several years ago. I got a direct email two days ago from the Baron. This work is going to be published in SIX volumes. The first book covers the period up to 1470 so I imagine it will be of limited interest to most of us here who concentrate on the 17th and 18th centuries. The initial run is 200 volumes to be released on 10/26 (today.) The cost is given as $200 USD per volume.

Just don't be under the apprehension that this is a one-volume work work based on the index Cathy shared. The first volume is just the beginning and I imagine the following volumes will depend on the sales and reception of the first.

If anyone has later info, please correct me but this is what was shared.

Actual copy of email:

THE SOTTISH BASKET HILTED SWORD
In 6 volumes

Volume I. c.1450 – 1600

Dear Friends,

You will be pleased to learn that – at long last – Volume I will be published on the 26th October 2016: it has only taken me a mere 52 years of research, the handling of hundreds of basket hilted swords, and copious note taking, to complete the writing and downloading of all 6 extremely large volumes!
Briefly, Vol. I contains three chapters consisting of 479 pp., 325 black & white pls., 11 colour pls., & 39 figs. (line drawings). It has been privately published to the highest possible standard, with best quality distinctive covers and top quality pages. The book measures 12 inches x 8.5 inches, with a spine width of 1.5 inches; it weighs slightly over 2.5 kilograms (over 5lbs). The price per copy is £165.00.
Because of the high cost of publication, the print run has been restricted to only 200 copies. Those of you to whom this email is being dispatched, will, as registered potential purchasers, receive priority treatment, & will be assured of receiving your per-ordered copy/copies as soon as payment has been cleared. Perhaps it is worth mentioning the current list of potential purchasers, including multi-copy orders is in excess of 156 copies, leaving just over 40 copies available.
It would be greatly appreciated, should you have changed your mind, or circumstances have altered for you, if you would be so courteous as to inform me by email.
Choir Press, my publishers, have kindly agreed to act as handlers (including packaging) and dispatchers to facilitate the quickest and most efficient method to ensure that your copy/copies arrive at your stated address.
The cost of handling, packing and dispatch will be absorbed by myself. The cost of tracker postage, as pertinent to yourself, should be added to the price of the book; for multi-volume orders, please enquire with the Choir Press for the postal charges that will apply.
The cost of tracker postage (as at the time of the dispatch of this email), is shown below:

Country
U.K
Spain
Italy
Germany
Norway
France
Hungary
Belgium
Australia
U.S.A
Canada
New Zealand
South Africa
Israel
Cost
£19.49
£18.99
£14.36
£25.61
£16.11
£21.00
£15.89
£42.15
£24.83
£35.44
£49.18
£49.18
£54.04
Estimated Time
1-2 days
4 days
4 days
4 days
5-6 days
4 days
4 days
4 days
9 days
9 days
9 days
9 days
9 days
9 days

The above covers all the countries where registered subscribers are known to reside. If you live in a different country to those shown above, then please inform Choir Press of the details, when cost of tracker postage will be notified.
On receipt of this email, full payment should be made immediately to Choir Press.

This can be made by
Direct Debit payment (by phone) to Choir Press (01452 500016).
Cheque made out to Choir Press enclosing your name, address & email.
By Bank Transfer to Choir Press. (Please contact through miles@thechoirpress.co.uk)

NOTE: Please ensure that name, address & email address and telephone number are enclosed with your order together with the number of copies ordered.
In conclusion, may I hope that you enjoy Volume I, and, if you want more, you may be pleased to know that the remaining five volumes completed, and that I am actively working with the publisher on Volume II (ch. IV: c. 1600-1700 & ch. V: Silver Basket Hilted Swords c.1700-65): it is anticipated that Vol. II will be even larger than Vol. I.!
It has been a long road, but I have little doubt that The Scottish Basket Hilted Sword will remain the standard work of reference on the subject for at least the next half century.
With my sincere thanks and best wishes to all of you who have so loyally supported me in this long journey to publication.

Very Sincerely Yours

The Baron of Earlshall
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: