Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dan Howard wrote:
Jonathan Dean wrote:
And the answer as to why the Carolingians would want to wear the shiny armour worn by the elite descendants of the Roman Empire.

The preferred armour in the Western and Eastern Roman Empire was mail. Their idealized stereotyped classical armour was musculata.

I'm just going off Dawson's Armour Never Wearies. I haven't been able to dig up images of the manuscripts he references, so I'm not going to push the idea beyond what I've said.

Pedro Paulo Gaião wrote:
But it was acceptable in Carolingian Military statutes for unarmoured horsemen like the later normans?

So far as I can tell, yes. The only capitulary that specifically requires armour sets the minimum wealth at twelve manses, while several others set the minimum wealth to perform service at 5 or 6 manses. To me, this strongly suggests that large numbers of minor landowners served without armour, while the core of the army consisted of the professional warriors serving the higher nobility and ecclesiastical lords.
The manuscripts from the period show horseman with and without armour: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4868/13187/
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: