Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cluny, Svante and Landgraf scabbards Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Cluny, Svante and Landgraf scabbards         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was trading at Sterkshof festival in June and spent some lovely drinking time with a bunch of Danish guys snappily called 'The Yellow Bastards' (thanks guys - it was fun). Whilst with them I handed over the scabbard shown here http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=36682 and collected an Albion Cluny and a Svante to make scabbards for.

These are both very very different swords and both very, very nice, so it was a pleasure to be able to scabbard them both. At around the same time I had a commission for a scabbard for an Albion Landgraf heading off to Canada, so I had a bit of a session.

The Svante is very broad and quite massive, but in fact not that long, especially for a two hander, so we decided to scabbard this as a standard hand and a half and so there is a poplar core, covered in veg tan leather with a little incised decoration lashed straps. This was the format I thought it should have, but not wanting to deface Peters' work, I dropped PJ a line and he generously confirmed I was on the right track and so here you are.

As a complete contrast, the Cluny is thinner than a human hair, and we based the scabbard on a few wood cuts of the period. These are characterised by a long chape, a central ridge and diagonal slashed/incised decoration running down the length of the scabbard. The suspension is not entirely clear in these pictures, but it was decided to simply turn the suspension strap around the belt. A simple but elegant scabbard, that is set off by the prominent top riser. Attention had to be paid to make the core and leather thin enough for the rain guard/chappe of the sword to slide over the top of the scabbard.

The Landgraf is a lovely sword, but for some reason, not one I make scabbards for very often (if at all). This required bronze fittings connected to the belt with laced straps and a floral motif to the leather carving which covers the top section.

All the scabbards are leather over poplar, the fittings are all from here https://todcutler.com/collections/sword-chapes and the scabbards are made entirely by Tod and Lisa

If you have any questions or comments please ask.

Thanks

Tod

Attachment: 157.75 KB
www.todsworkshop.com 3 scabbards 1 MA.JPG

Attachment: 164.78 KB
www.todsworkshop.com 3 scabbards 2MA.JPG

Attachment: 197.91 KB
www.todsworkshop.com 3 scabbards 3MA.JPG

Attachment: 165.99 KB
www.todsworkshop.com 3 scabbards 4MA.JPG

Attachment: 160.68 KB
www.todsworkshop.com 3 scabbards 5MA.JPG

Attachment: 170.77 KB
www.todsworkshop.com 3 scabbards 6MA.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hell of a set there! These are some of my favorites. Perfect lines. To see them all together in one group shot is especially brilliant.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Preben B

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really love the tooling you've been doing lately, especially a fan of the work on the Svante.

Probably be hitting you up myself for another scabbard or two before the end of the year, I somehow find myself more excited to get your scabbards than the swords themselves.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful stuff, especially for the Landgraf
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty amazing stuff there.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No favorites Leo, each one is brilliant. Well done!
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cluny, Svante and Landgraf scabbards
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic