Thoughts about enclosed rondel dagger?
Is this rondel dagger acceptable for late 14. century and beginning of the 15. century region Austria/Germany. What about "rondel" shaping and blade style?

Attachment: 85.08 KB
[ Download ]
I like the reinforced tip but I don't know enough about the time and region you specified to comment further. The rondels are interesting although I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like them. Fabrice Cognot is extremely knowledgeable about such details. He may see this when he returns from Solingen this weekend.

The scabbard frequently terminates into a cup at the mouth to enclose the forward rondel. Nothing wrong with the one provided though, its quite nice.
Kel Rekuta wrote:
I like the reinforced tip but I don't know enough about the time and region you specified to comment further. The rondels are interesting although I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like them. Fabrice Cognot is extremely knowledgeable about such details. He may see this when he returns from Solingen this weekend.

The scabbard frequently terminates into a cup at the mouth to enclose the forward rondel. Nothing wrong with the one provided though, its quite nice.

I like the reinforced tip of the blade as well as it should improve the stiffness of the very end of the blade, I'm just not sure how accurate it is for mentioned period (we can dismiss the region for now as it makes this a very and maybe too specific).
After small research and going through loads of photos of other people's rondel dagger I found one. I have no evidence that it was inspired by any historical dagger of course, yet it has tip of the blade in the same or at least very similar style).

The rondels are indeed interesting not mentioning the typical circular shape of let's simply call it a ,,guard". I've seen many different regular polygonal shapes of guards yet without such a decoration in form of these "small channels" going from the center to the corners in this case octagonal guard.

Anyway thank you very much for your comment on this particular rondel dagger and I'll definitely wait for opinion of Fabrice Cognot you mentioned.

Attachment: 180.14 KB
Rondel dagger with similarly shaped tip of the blade. [ Download ]
Check out the feature article on rondel daggers. The hilt styling does not seem to take it out of contention for the period you suggest. As for the blade profile, I can't say how early the reinforced tip came into being, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's as early as the late XIVth, or even prior since a stout, narrow reinforced tip would be effective for both getting between plates or weak spots in plates, or penetrating and popping a maille ring - kind of like a bodkin tip on an arrow.

https://myArmoury.com/feature_spot_rondel.html

Also, here's a page with some interesting images. Some of them may lead to you other discussions as to era and geography of certain stylistic traits.

https://www.pinterest.com/johnmckelvy54/daggers/

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: