How were Viking shields painted?
I was looking at viking shields that one can buy today and I was wondering how historical ones were decorated. Are there any good resources? I am not interested in just in viking age shields, but also other similar round shields from the migration period.
Re: How were Viking shields painted?
Ryan S. wrote:
I was looking at viking shields that one can buy today and I was wondering how historical ones were decorated. Are there any good resources? I am not interested in just in viking age shields, but also other similar round shields from the migration period.

You will probably need archaeology books, but two web resources are Hurstwic Viking Shields (they have a new book) and Roland Warzecha's Dimicator patron (there is information on Viking Age shields and shield-painting in the archives, he has not yet published his book on shield fighting).

Edit: Also Peter Beatson, "The 'Viking Shield' from Archaeology," http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html He and Roland are good about citing where they get their information from.
Thanks, that last one has what I am looking for. Well, I was hoping there would be more, but it seems there isn't much.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: