Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > London - Requesting historical arms&armor attractions! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: London - Requesting historical arms&armor attractions!         Reply with quote

I’m taking a last minute trip to London this week and I could use some help from the UK members of the board in putting together my itinerary. I’m mostly interested in things related to 14th century Medieval and 19th century Imperial history. Of course the Tower Armory and the British Museum are a must-see, but I'm looking for historic attractions that might be less obvious to an outsider.

For example, if I only had time to visit just one real medieval castle, which one should I pick from this list: http://www.touropia.com/castles-near-london/ if I want the highest level of authenticity?

I also have a fascination with Regency Era bare knuckle boxing so any gyms, clubs, or matches still practicing the art would be very interesting to me too.

Of course general recommendations for food and drink are also welcome!

Thank you
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, In London you should not miss the Wallace Collection, a superb coll. of arms & armour though most of it is in the middle of your date ranges. The Victoria & Albert Museum has stuff from Mediaeval to modern, all top quality. The Museum of London also has Arms from Roman to modern, and all are free entry.
Castles: Windsor is superb and closest to London - also has an armoury; otherwise Dover is probably the best example of a real fortified mediaeval castle, but it is quite a long way from London; likewise Warwick which is good but has some Disney aspects; Hever and Leeds are more fortified palaces than strictly castles. Arundel is good but still privately owned and I don't know how easy access is, if at all. Highclere is not a castle but famous for featuring on TV. Enjoy your stay.
Neil

N Melville
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Wallace Collection would also be my first suggestion.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 21 May, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out the National Army Museum for 19th century military history (and 17th, 18th, and 20th centuries, too).

www.nam.ac.uk
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 May, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second what everyone has already recommended. In terms of a 'castle' the Tower will really suit you. Blenheim Palace is also not too far, about an hour train from Marylebone or Paddington, then a 20 minute bus. It has significant historical importance, and a very impressive ground. Nearby, in Oxford, where the train will get in --before you would switch to the bus--, is the Ashmolean which has a little bit of Anglo-Saxon material.

In the other direction, if you did a jaunt to Cambridge, there is also the Fitzwilliam Museum, which has quite a bit of arms and armour.

In terms of fighting/hema/boxing/etc.. in London there are The Exiles and Schola Gladiatoria.

As others have said, the Wallace Collection and the National Army Museum are both great.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rochester Castle is about an hour to an hour and a half out of London, depending on your mode of transportation and where you are in London. It is not like the Tower of London with complete rooms and living spaces, but it is still quite magnificent and fun to explore.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/rochester-castle/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > London - Requesting historical arms&armor attractions!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic