Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help identifying please Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Toni Jordan

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Need help identifying please         Reply with quote

Hi, guys, im New here, und live in Germany. I came across a sword and helmet, und wanted to ask if anyone could tell me if they are scrap, authentic or reproductions. Thanks in advance.

Attachment: 79.06 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 163.59 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 152.87 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 142.19 KB
[ Download ]
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying please         Reply with quote

Toni Jordan wrote:
Hi, guys, im New here, und live in Germany. I came across a sword and helmet, und wanted to ask if anyone could tell me if they are scrap, authentic or reproductions. Thanks in advance.

Both of these items are reproductions. The helmet is a reproduction bascinet, similar to those worn in the late 14th century. My guess is that it's a modern reproduction. The sword looks like a lower quality piece in comparison. It has fantasy elements in the hilt that remind me of Lord of the Rings pieces. Its blade is very crude and doesn't seem to closely correspond with any of the known medieval blade types; the impression is that the smith was just hammering a piece of metal into a very vague "sword shape".
Ant Mercer

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I concur with Craig: the sword looks to be a fan's interpretation of Glamdring from the Lord of the Rings films. Maybe something a blacksmith has knocked up? It's possible it could be used as a waster or something, but it's in no way historical or practical-looking.

The helmet similarly looks to be very modern and, from the photos at least, poor quality.

Cheers,

Ant
Geoffroy Gautier

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The ripples over the right eyeslit are a bit weird. Usually, you only get this kind of rippling in press stamped pieces, i.e. mass produced pieces (by the tens of thousands). What's weird is that all lines are uneven, and considering the cost of making a stamping tooling, you'd want to go the extra mile to at least have it look clean and neat. So it could be a patchwork of industrially made and badly hand fitted parts, just like the sword.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They look like the sorts of thing used as stage props for theatrical performances in decades long past. The sword looks to be cast metal. I doubt they were blackened when they were new. That finish seems to have been applied after they had already seen better days.
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword is a cheap looking knockoff of some sort of the sword Glamdring from LOTR, so it has to be less than 20 years old, and it is low quality, and been painted black for some reason.
Still hammering away

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help identifying please
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic