Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Bruce Wilson wrote:
Edward Hitchens wrote:
Hey, I know! :idea: How about my signature message below? (It works for the Order of the Garter :p )

Cool idea for a contest, Howy, though I share the same opinion with Jeremiah; How could I possibly pick just ONE NextGen sword?! (eenie -- meenie -- miney -- moe ....) -Ted

Ummm, Edward, isn't that "Honi soit qui mal y pense" ??

...and somehow I'm not all that sure the Crown and the Order of the Garter would be willing to share that as a motto!!

;) :D

Hang on, let me go look .............. Hmmm .............. well, I'd venture to say that the Crown (do you mean the monarchy?) does not have this motto, though it is still the motto of the Order which is the oldest and most prestigous of all orders of English knighthood; there's also the Order of the Bath founded by George I in the early 18th century. I'll confess that you're right on the spelling though. :confused: -Ted
Lloyd Clark wrote:
Since I will be extremely busy for the rest of the week with our fayre, I was hoping that Howie could give us a hint on who, if anyone, won? :D

Hey Lloyd!

The problem, like with our other contests, is that there are TOO MANY GREAT ENTRIES! It is taking us forever to go through them all and try to pick a winner...
A suprising number of people told us to stick with "History in Your Hand" and many wanted us to bring "Exceptional Swords for Exceptional People" back.
But there are many, many very original takes...
I am shooting to be done before the end of the month...

Best,

Howy
Yes, "the Crown" refers to the monarch but usually the role and the office rather than the individual. For example, public prosecutions are referred to as "The Crown vs... " and not "The State vs... "

Similarly, the Crown is bound up in the system of honours and awards, particularly the older honours, and the Sovereign is described as the "Fountain of Honour" or the "Fount of all Honour" - meaning essentially that all awards and honours flow from and are the gift of the Crown. Whilst this is still technically true, most awards and honours are today agreed and submitted by the Government of the day - but the ancient Order of the Garter remains the personal award of the monarch and is intimately connected to the person and office of the monarch as the sovereign head of the Order (and therefore so is its symbolism too!).

See here:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page490.asp

Hope that makes more sense!! :D

Kind regards,
B
Thanks, Howy, I figured that would be the case - impassioned people come up with the best ideas :D

Are you (I am using the all-encompassing you as in Albion) going to be able to make it up to our fayre this weekend? I would really like for you to meet Brian Price and see some of the WMA tourney (provided we actually have competitors, otherwise, we will be having a Brian Price WMA seminar). You also get a chance to see me knocked from a horse again ;)

I hope you all can make it.
Lloyd Clark wrote:
Thanks, Howy, I figured that would be the case - impassioned people come up with the best ideas :D

Are you (I am using the all-encompassing you as in Albion) going to be able to make it up to our fayre this weekend? I would really like for you to meet Brian Price and see some of the WMA tourney (provided we actually have competitors, otherwise, we will be having a Brian Price WMA seminar). You also get a chance to see me knocked from a horse again ;)

I hope you all can make it.

Hey Lloyd,

I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to make it, as I have a seminar in Minnesota that I am attending. I've met Brian on a few occasions in the past, but we've never had much of a chance to talk and really get to know one another. Tell him I said "hi" though.

Hope things go well.
Thanks, Jason, we did have a fine show - just seemed the weather kept people away. Still going to do the next fundraiser Oct. 1 & 2!

Now, back to the topic - it is now the last day of June and I can't wait to see the new "catch phrase" that you all have selected - Enquiring Minds Want To Know!
Context Update
We are still going through the hundreds of entries we received, so it is going to take a little bit longer. I apologise for the delay, but thank you all for the great entries!!!

Best,

Howy
Update?
So as we near then end of July can we get another update? :D
Re: Update?
Roger Soucy wrote:

Just a day or so more -- the finalists are going around for final selection right now. Tough, tough decisions...

Best,

Howy
Re: Update?
Howard Waddell wrote:
Roger Soucy wrote:

Just a day or so more -- the finalists are going around for final selection right now. Tough, tough decisions...

Best,

Howy

Howy,

Could you please list a few of the non-winning finalists and their suggested marketing messages so that they know which of their ideas were good ones?
and the winner is....
An overwhelming number of entries told us to stick with "History in Your Hand."

However, of the entries our distinguished judges have chosen:

Recreating history - one sword at a time – Andy Bain

as the Grand Prize Winner

The finalists were:

Albion Armorers: A Slice of History -- Aaron O'Dom
Albion: The Cutting Edge of History – Aaron Schnatterly
Classic Inspiration, Cutting Edge Design - Brian Jones
Albion swords...excellence within your grasp -- Christopher Eppley
ALBION ARMORERS: RESURRECTING THE PAST. ONE SWORD AT A TIME -- Joseph "Chris" Lampe
HISTORY WITH AN EDGE -- Mark Cergol
A modern company with a medieval attitude -- Gordon Clark
Albion Mark Swords: History – Heritage – Honor -- Craig E. Cheney
Albion: Redefining the art of swordsmithing – Craig Peters
Albion: History to the Hilt -- Craig Peters
Feel the past -- Christopher Eppley
Albion Swords: The past reborn in steel -- Eric L. Spitler
Albion Swords: Get an edge on history -- Eric L. Spitler
Handcrafting history, one sword at a time -- Michael Capanelli
Preserving History In Steel -- James Vargscarr
Albion swords - quality to the hilt. -- Jeff Ross
Passion with an Edge -- Jens Erickson
Exacting research, precise execution, chivalrous care -- Martin Brent Taylor
Swords to Live By -- Eric Meulemans
Making History... Again -- Nathaniel Coser
History in the Making -- Phil Dobarganes
Timeless design for the modern warrior -- Jeffery Townsend
The Mark of Gentleman and Warriors -- James Bennett
Albion Armourers- Precision,Prestige & Passion -- Bill Goodwin
Albion Swords - Free the warrior within -- Roger Soucy
European Elegance with American Pride -- Jonathon Janusz

Tied for "Most Humorous" (and yet still on the mark) were:

Albion Armorers: We swear they aren't antiques – Alina Boyden

Albion Swords: Your last defense when the bullets run out and the post-apocalyptic zombies are still coming. -- Eric L. Spitler

Some funny ones I had to share:
Albion Swords...not bad for a bunch of Cheese Heads.
Happy Cheese Heads make great swords.
Winter in Wisconsin, what else is there to do but make great swords.
We make our swords just like our customers: sharp, tough, and damn good looking
Albion Swords - Darwin's little helper
Take a walk on the Medieval side
Albion Armorers: Cool and Collected
Albion - now that's a sword!
What museum did you steal that from?

A BIG thank you again to everyone who entered. Even the finalists were hard to choose because all of the entries were great.

Best,

Howy
Albion
Congrats, Andy!

Thanks, Howy (and the rest of the Albion crew)! This was fun.

Lots of good creative ones out there... lots of names I recognize.
A big congratulations to Andy!!

I can't believe I was actually a finalist!!
Haha! I knew it- can't lose with zombies :p
There are some great entries there. Congrats Andy!
Yay! I was a finalist! :D
Rats! I was only a finalist! :p

hmmmm well. Stanford would probably frown on having swords on campus anyway :lol:

Seriously though, Congratulations Andy!

And now the burning questions...... Which sword will it be :?:

And.... Which Bill G was a finalist? :p

And.... Post-apocalyptic zombies :wtf: :eek: :idea: :D

And.... If they outlaw guns can we use swords?

Huzzah,
right on andy!!
Congratulations, Andy!

Great to see it was so hard; it just means that we're all on the same page :cool:

One more for the road: Albion Swords - It's either that or we put a cast-iron cow out front in a cheese head and armor. . . Yeah, we think swords would sell better too.
whoo hooo
Congrats Andy.....What sword you gonna pic?

Oh and Eric is there a difference between Post apocalyptic and Pre apocalyptic Zombies :eek:

Cheers
Dave Lannon
Congratulations Andy!

And to whoever sent in 'Albion Swords - Darwin's Little Helper' - pure gold! :lol:
Re: whoo hooo
David Lannon wrote:
Congrats Andy.....What sword you gonna pic?

Oh and Eric is there a difference between Post apocalyptic and Pre apocalyptic Zombies :eek:

Cheers
Dave Lannon

Surely- the radiation makes the posties much more rabid :cool:
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: