W. Clauberg solingen
I am new to the group so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I have a w. Clauberg solingen sword. I have done numerous hours of research and cannot find ANY info on it at all. can someone please help?
Hi Gerald Welcome aboard.

Pictures help a great deal, as otherwise it becomes a game of twenty questions and blind mans bluff. If you are having difficulties with uploading images, there are several prompts and solutions. In a last resort, simply send the images to my email gcleeton@gmail.com and I will post them for you. If you have searched for Clauberg, there is information out there and an image search will yield many results. We can't be expected to spend a lot of time tutoring folk how to do some simple searching. I am more than happy to look at an item but I really despise the blind mans bluff game.

Cheers

GC
Clauberg
A place to start, perhaps.

https://www.americanswords.com/clauberg.html
Re: Clauberg
Steve Fabert wrote:
A place to start, perhaps.

https://www.americanswords.com/clauberg.html

While you are at it, simply run an image search for Clauberg swords and winnow out the hundreds of different examples one will see different than what one has in hand.

Simon Rycrofft's page is hardly even the tip of an iceberg.

Cheers

GC
ive tried all the things yall have mentioned. ive been doing research for a while now with new evidence of another sword like it.and for some reason it wont let me upload pics.
Hi Gerald

Scottish Rite Freemasons Knights Templar, 19th century. I'll get the images up for you and add some more notes after checking the latest fraternal sword bible. Quickly, the sword shown is a Grand Encampment Patriarchal officer's sword of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite 33rd degree.

An interesting example beyond the scope of Rycrofft's very good pages on American Civil War presentation swords but I would not be surprised to find it dating to shortly after the ACW (hence needing to find a close match in the book). The grade of the sword and etch lend it to be earlier than 20th century types. Again, more notes once I'm at the desk.

Cheers

GC
Let me begin quickly again by getting the photos up. There is apparently no retailer marking, which complicates dating. However, there are some traits pointing to earlier vs later.

Starting with the blade, it is a little bit broader and fullered (on one side?). Later fraternal
blades tend to be pretty narrow. The etching on this one readily point to the Freemasons and the patriarchal cross something not generally seen on a rank and file Sir Knight. There is no monogram though. The sword standards were evolving during the mid 19th century.

I am not finding a twin in the current bible for these swords. The Clauberg mark as shown was used for well more than a century (about 150 years) beginning in the late 1840s. The scabbard fittings however are sweated on vs cast directly onto the scabbard, which was developed after the ACW (more particularly post 1880). The current bible an inexpensive buy and I believe also available on Kindle or otherwise electronically.
http://myArmoury.com/books/item.1931464383.html

On a hunch, I would still list it pretty much as I wrote in the previous post. It is likely not a simple rank and file Sir Knight's sword but rather an officer such as an Eminent Commander. The blade etchings point to that level and the overall a sword I would place somewhere in the third quarter of the 19th century. The lack of a retailer's name and the blade type could place it another decade earlier and I wouldn't rule that out, so the earliest might be from the late 1840s. I have reasons to doubt that though and I have some other notes to go through.

So here are the pictures, perhaps someone else can fill in some blanks or find a twin in an image search. I have more questions. Answers the owner may be able to share. A chain of ownership and where the sword surfaced may provide some further clues.

Some quick links
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/
http://www.masonicdictionary.com/crosses.html

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 78.71 KB
20180325_185754.jpg

Attachment: 100.21 KB
20180325_185704.jpg

Attachment: 70.42 KB
20180325_185545.jpg

Attachment: 92.35 KB
20180325_184448.jpg

Attachment: 56.15 KB
20180325_181718.jpg

Attachment: 50.53 KB
20180325_180616.jpg

Attachment: 128.47 KB
20180325_180406.jpg

Attachment: 68.13 KB
20180321_202718.jpg

thank you for posting pics
that is awesome thank you very much. I've been researching for weeks and couldn't find anything on it at all
Same offer as Glen. Send my email some pics and I'll be more than happy to try and help.
Thegoodscooter@gmail.com

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: