Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The power, and using methods of Viking axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Zonja

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: The power, and using methods of Viking axe         Reply with quote

Here is a thread about Viking axe . It was not used only for figthing. Actually, it became their most used weapon just because they used it for other methods. Because they got handy with axe, their fighting symbol became an axe too. During hard times, mostly winter, Norse people had to find food, and loot. That's the reason why they started invading other civilizations, and why their culture became so "monstruous".

Did you know that one hit with viking axe breaks the skull? It's size, and thing blade makes this weapon super easy to make a deadly hit. Anyone likes (or making) these blades?
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The power, and using methods of Viking axe         Reply with quote

Ian Zonja wrote:
Here is a thread about Viking axe . It was not used only for figthing. Actually, it became their most used weapon just because they used it for other methods. Because they got handy with axe, their fighting symbol became an axe too. During hard times, mostly winter, Norse people had to find food, and loot. That's the reason why they started invading other civilizations, and why their culture became so "monstruous".

Did you know that one hit with viking axe breaks the skull? It's size, and thing blade makes this weapon super easy to make a deadly hit. Anyone likes (or making) these blades?

Well i would say that the most common type of axe in any timeperiod is a tool axe, used for chopping down trees, splitting logs etc, so that isn't a suprising thing at all.

The main weapon of almost every fighting man in the viking age would be the spear, because it was relatively cheap, and it was suited for fighting in a formation. Axes, swords and saxes would be secondary weapons.

And I would say that the "fighting symbol" of the viking age was the sword, since it was a weapon the sole purpose of wich was to kill or wound other people, unlike axes, spears, saxes and bows, wich could be used for hunting or as tools (although the exception to this are the "Dane axes" the historical term of wich would actually be broadaxe Breiðøx, since the heads are very thin, and thus were not suitable for use as a tool.)

Swords were also highly regarded and often passed on as a heirlooms from generation to generation, because of their high value. There are many poems and excerpts from sagas that emphazise the importance of the sword.

And as for the explanation for the viking age raids and invasions done by the norse there are many theories about this subject, such as overpopulation, and the fractured political entities of britain and western europe. Of course the will to explore would have been a factor as well.

No offence but think that the theory you are putting forth is somewhat lacking since people throughout the ages have stored food, and they would have slaughtered some of their animals during the winter, and ofcourse you could have hunted some game if you were low on food during the wintertime.

And a hit with any axe, wheter it is a tool, or fighting axe can split a skull, since the axehead focuses the impact of a blow in a small area, and because most of the weight is at the business end of the haft. And yes I enjoy most of the types of viking age axes, and I am planning to forge one when i finish my sax Big Grin

I hope that you dont take my criticism as an attack, since I am just trying to provide some constructive criticism on some points which I think are a bit off Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The power, and using methods of Viking axe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic