Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > More movie talk... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

I have to agree with you on Ride with the Devil.

Being a Kansan, and raised in the Lawrence area to boot, I'm pretty familiar with the subject matter. That movie pretty accurately illustrated the motivations and conduct of the people of the time. Now when taken in total as a "movie", as a cinematic experience, it wasn't that great. In fact, I'd rate it as below average. But in terms of period attitude and tactics it's very good.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Gordon,

I have to agree with you on Ride with the Devil.

Being a Kansan, and raised in the Lawrence area to boot, I'm pretty familiar with the subject matter. That movie pretty accurately illustrated the motivations and conduct of the people of the time. Now when taken in total as a "movie", as a cinematic experience, it wasn't that great. In fact, I'd rate it as below average. But in terms of period attitude and tactics it's very good.

Patrick;

I guess Kansans got pretty used to Southerners riding through their towns shooting and hollering between 1850 and 1880, eh? Pro-Slavery Border Ruffians, Guerillas, Texans, etc... Big Grin No wonder there's still some serious emnity between Kansas and Missouri!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay, I'm definitely with you on Elizabeth!! Cate was so robbed of that Oscar. I'm actually a fanatic of Queen Elizabeth I. That woman didn't take cr_p from anyone! Have you even watched it with Shekar Kapur's commentary? You should! He gives an outstanding commentary. Cate has some lines in that film that the real Elizabeth actually said ("I will have one mistress here, and no master!"). The costumes are probably my favorite of any period film.

You know, I don't know why, but I get such a kick out of The Man in the Iron Mask (1998). Certainly not your typical Three Musketeers movie. I thought Leo DiCaprio did an excellent job playing two parts. Gerard Depardieau is my favorite Porthos, but the best Athos by far will always be Oliver Reed. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well you guys got me to spend some more money again: Just bought the 1952 version of Ivanhoe, thanks Patrick for the suggestion.

I also bought " La Reine Margo " from a book by Alexandre Dumas, set in the period of the massacre of the Huguenots in the mid 16th century. French with English sub-titles. Lots of intrigue and the litteral backstabbing typical of the period.

I would let others decide if the costuming and arms are accurate to the period, but it looks pretty good as far as I remember when I saw it when it came out in 1994. ( Will have to watch the DVD to refresh my memory Big Grin )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
No wonder there's still some serious emnity between Kansas and Missouri!

Fortunately it only seems to center around college football these days!

David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: I'd never have noticed...         Reply with quote

No I'm pretty sure I do not like "Cromwell". What really does depress me is that although Cromwell was slightly better than other films of it's genre of the time it was very quickly outclassed by the early 70's Musketeer films. Which are packed with little details. Such as the Drummer boys being taught drum calls. Just a shame Drummer boys are an 18th Centry invention....

However....30 years on....And We still get dross like "...To Kill a King....". After the BBC did a TV series Called " By the Sword Divided", which used a hell of a lot of My Society's members, with their own clothing and weapons.... you'd expect someone to twig that there are some people in the UK who know their stuff...But no...we get Bandilor bottle the size of milk bottles...S&M Fetish leather outfits.

The French seem to be the only film makers who consistly turn out costume dramas set further back than 1900 with any attempt at good costume or weaponry. La Rene Margot, Le Bossu, D'Artagnan's Daughter, The Brotherhood of the Wolf, Cyrano de Bergerac, the Return of Martin Guerre, Tous les matins du monde just to name my favouite few.

And Thank you for the compliments. We do our best. There's till things not quiet right but there you go....
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, yeah! I forgot about Queen Margot. The massacre of the Hugenots looks like something out a painting from the Dutch revolt. Very effective, I thought, but I knew nothing about arms & armour then so I'd like to see it again. That picture also has the only convincing execution scene I know of, with no fanfare and decapitation by sword. Very compassionate and professional headsman. Looking back, that scene also seemed to be perfect in every detail. Oh...and you get to look at and hear Isabelle Adjani for a couple of hours, too. That's no small benefit, IMHO.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Three/Four Musketeers is still about the best 17th Century film out there (I only say that because there's an outside possibility that there is another out there)... the Details are for the most part fantastic, but the little bit, like Athos winding up his wheellock about half-a-dozen times made me cringe. My buddy with whom I went to see the film when it came out actually shreiked in the theatre!

I am awaiting "Queen Margo"... right, Jean??? But I hear lots of good things about it.

I rather enjoyed "By the Sword Divided" but I'd best pass on criticism of that one, LOL! I did think the toy cannons a bit strange, but I suppose they are one heck of a lot more realistic than the huge fibreglass monstrosities that David said were used in "Cromwell"... and in "The Patriot" as well (as though the British Army was dragging 32-pounders around the wilds of North Carolina! The biggest gun at Cowpens was a 3-pounder Galloper, LOL!)

Cheers,

Gordon

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon;

Oh yeah, I will send you "La Reine Margo" as soon as I view it: I have been bad at viewing my recent DVD purchases lately in a timely fashion, will try to prioritize better !

Hmmmmmm: Winding a Wheellock a half a dozen times ? That's not for half a dozen shots is it !
So this is cranking the the Wheellock like an old watch instead of the single 1 / 4 or 1 / 2 turn needed to bend the mainspring Cry Evil Razz

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Gordon;

Oh yeah, I will send you "La Reine Margo" as soon as I view it: I have been bad at viewing my recent DVD purchases lately in a timely fashion, will try to prioritize better !

Hmmmmmm: Winding a Wheellock a half a dozen times ? That's not for half a dozen shots is it !
So this is cranking the the Wheellock like an old watch instead of the single 1 / 4 or 1 / 2 turn needed to bend the mainspring Cry Evil Razz

Jean;

Sadly, yes, you only wind a wheellock to one complete turn, usually. Winding it up like a 10-day watch will result in a lack of results, and a major bill from you gunsmith! Cry Besides, it would take one HECK of a wrist, or a heck of a cheater bar on that spanner, to manage that trick! Big Grin

I look forward to "La Reine Margo" though! I don't like the idea of watching my ancestors cut down in the streets, but then, that's why I'm here, too!

Cheers,

Gordon

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon;

And a little known FACT that each extra turn adds 100 feet per second to the projectile velocity of a wheellock. Wink

Probably a film prop that was made like a cheap 10 day watch and nobody thought of informing the poor actor about how a real wheellock works ! Or worse the director said keep cranking and it will draw attention to how "primitive", slow and deliberate shooting one of these was. Or it will add to the tension: Will he have enough time to get all those "needed" turns done in time to get his shot off. Laughing Out Loud

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Gordon;

And a little known FACT that each extra turn adds 100 feet per second to the projectile velocity of a wheellock. Wink

Probably a film prop that was made like a cheap 10 day watch and nobody thought of informing the poor actor about how a real wheellock works ! Or worse the director said keep cranking and it will draw attention to how "primitive", slow and deliberate shooting one of these was. Or it will add to the tension: Will he have enough time to get all those "needed" turns done in time to get his shot off. Laughing Out Loud

Sort of like "Shaking out the Loads" of a Colt Single Action by the Side Kick in the old Westerns? Gabby Hayes Rides! Big Grin

Gordon

Douglas G.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gosh Fella's! I can't believe I'm the first to recommend King Arthur. King Arthur
and all his knights were grubby, and everyone knows people back then were
grubby. The Saxons were real Hun like, and we all know that Germans get called
Huns. And the two climates, Hyborean winter and 30 miles south green and verdant.
Hoo boy, for my money it's...........................................
I can't go on, it's so bad you can't even joke about it. Knights of the Round Table
from the Steppes? As for Alex the Truly Awful, well both these stinkeroos should be
kept away from all dairy products.

I have to go with everyone else here, the Warlord, The Duellists and 'Musketeers
are the best. I wish I could get a copy of the Musketeers with a clean sound track,
my DVD is muddy enough that first time watchers miss some of the asides. A
guilty pleasure is "El Cid", but any movie with a sword and Heston is okay in my
book.

Best,
Doug
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:
I wish I could get a copy of the Musketeers with a clean sound track,
my DVD is muddy enough that first time watchers miss some of the asides.

Hey Doug,

If you don't mind me asking, which version of the 3/4 Musketeers do you own? The old Fox Lorber editions were horrible copys, in both sound & picture. The recent (2003) 2-disc set by Anchor Bay is the definitive edition. Cool
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Stephen,
Thanks for the heads up, mine are indeed Fox Lorbers. I will
have to get the Anchor Bay versions.

Best,
Doug
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:
Dear Stephen,
Thanks for the heads up, mine are indeed Fox Lorbers. I will
have to get the Anchor Bay versions.

Best,
Doug

They're well worth it!

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have the old fox versions as well, thanks for the heads up.

anyone seen the return of the musketeers as well?

also, got a french film/ english subtitles called revenge of the musketeers. nice flick. the famous 3 are all old. nice lead woman Wink its the princess from braveheart.
Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Movies about medieval age? Hm... Let's see what pops in my head first. Wink

No, I'd rather not tell.

Ok, most remembered movies (and I don't think I've seen them in this long list):

The Advocate (or "The Hour of the Pig", 1994) - weird, funny, grotesque movie about a french lawyer defending a pig in 15. or 16. th century. Not a lot of action, but great plot, costumes, playing...

Ivanhoe (1997) - five hour long mini series filmed by BBC. A lot of changes from the book, but great costumes, duels...

The Viking Sagas (1996) - I've seen it a long time ago, and I'd like to see it again - unfortunately it's not available on DVD. Great Icelandic landscape, good costumes, Icelandic ponies, a lot of stuff taken directly from some famous Icelandic sagas, sometimes very realistic battle scenes (although battles are small)...

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Turner Classic Movies has scheduled a showing of Charlton Heston's movie The Warlord for April 10, if I read the schedule correctly. It will be broadcast in the original letterbox format. Fans who don't already have a copy of this film should get their VCR or DVR ready for the broadcast.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec wrote:
Movies about medieval age? Hm... Let's see what pops in my head first. Wink

The Viking Sagas (1996) - I've seen it a long time ago, and I'd like to see it again - unfortunately it's not available on DVD. Great Icelandic landscape, good costumes, Icelandic ponies, a lot of stuff taken directly from some famous Icelandic sagas, sometimes very realistic battle scenes (although battles are small)...

ahahahhaha i remember this movie hehehe. thought it was a lil ehhem bad but its ok Wink "he's not the chosen one, theres no scar on his chest" ahhaha Wink

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > More movie talk...
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: