Poorly preserved antique or poorly preserved reproduction?
I recently saw this sword while walking through my local mall past the reproduction katanas store. It caught my eye for being the only sword in the place that wasn't obviously new. The owner claims it's a 400-500 year old Persian relic and it can be had for $360. While I recognize that the stated age is unlikely, if this is some sort of antique (I don't know, a WWI sword or something) it might be worth the effort to polish it up and hang it on the wall. However, my knowledge of antique swords is limited, especially when we get into the realm of Middle Eastern/Central Asian weapons. There are no maker's marks or any marks of any kind on the blade. The scabbard does have the remnants of an old sticky tag of some sort, but I'm not sure if the numbers on it are meant to be a price or a date or what. So the questions I have (which I'd be grateful for help in answering) are:
1) Original or reproduction?
2) How old do you think it is?
3) What would be a fair price for this piece in its current condition?
Thanks for any help.

Attachment: 341.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 219.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 351 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 343.03 KB
[ Download ]
I would assume that it's junk from Pakistan until proved wrong. Then again maybe it's junk from Afghanistan. Either way it looks like junk.
Hey Jeremy,
That is definitely a real Afghan pulwar. While I wouldn't go so far as to call it junk, it looks like a cruder, more common example. I would guess that it dates to late 1800's to early 1900's. That torn sticker says 1889. Perhaps that is when it was collected. As far as $360 goes... that seems steep. I wouldn't go above $250, but that's just me. I have bought a few tulwars in better shape for less than $360. And one much nicer for not too much more.

See if you can talk him down. It could be a fun project to clean it up. I think the blade looks pretty cool. Check that the handle isn't loose on it. You might want to search for tulwar and pulwar on Ebay as well.

Cheers.
i worry about a sticker that's destroyed except for the date
It looks like a pulwar, but a very crude example. I agree with Sean that the sticker is suspiciously torn, and while it is not at all an unfeasible date, as Travis suggests, this does not make it particularly valuable even if real. I certainly would not pay $360, not in that condition. The blade and hilt/scabbard all have a mismatched patina, it looks banged up (deliberately or not) and has aged, or was aged, poorly.

Best,
Hadrian
FAKE, do a google image search for "pulwar" and compare to known authentic examples. India produces all manner of fakes, from completely new to mating old parts together with new or other old parts.
I agree with a little bit of what everyone said here. It is a real sword from Afghanistan or Pakistan. It is an antique..... Now whether it is an original piece or three antique pieces that got married together five years ago, or married together over the last 200 or less years is impossible to tell from photos. What I do think is a Pulwar hilt has a Tulwar disk in place (and I forget what it is really called) the hollow pommel that a Pulwar would have. The original pommels will have stones, usually three bless by an Imam in them. The stones can be anything from shiny pebbles to gemstones.

I have bought at least 20 or so swords in Afghanistan, and some in Iraq over the last 18 years. I have friends I could go to in Kabul and get an Antiquity Made Yesterday, Esp bronze pieces, they very good at creating a believable patina. It would not be hard to find all the parts for this on Chicken Street and bang it together.

As to the price, No, not no but Oh Heck No, he is trying to do you an bamboozle. You can get on Ebay and get a nicer example for much less, I just did a quick search for Tulwar and Pulwar. There parts, pieces, and whole swords. Ebay can also be an educational resource both for pricing and some posters/sellers will give detailed descriptions of what and why something is the way it is.

I would not buy it at all and I would say you should not either, you can find a better sword for less with out having questions of if it was all original and not pay Mall Store Prices......

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: