Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Beware of USPS mishandling Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a sword & scabbard on the way inbound from Poland that have now dropped off the radar screen. Last word was that the package had passed successfully through NYC customs. No further tracking entries since the 13th. Very annoying. I will report further once anything more is known.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had an annoying experience with USPS two years ago shipping a sword to Poland. I tracked it from Chicago to New York and than Germany. It moved around in Germany for a few days and than tracking said it was back in New York. It proceeded to go back to Germany and was delivered two days later. Not sure if the tracking system was messed up or something else happened but it was frustrating and the person I shipped the sword to was obviously nervous as they tracked it as well! A shame that USPS is the least expensive way to ship a sword to Europe that I have found here.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Things go wrong everywhere. I don't think you can keep harping on the Postal Service. I had a real nightmare once using a private carrier. I restored an Emmert's Patternmaker's Vise and sold it several years ago for quite a lot of money. I custom built a wooden box for it (I'm a cabinet maker) and shipped it to a customer in Texas and it vanished. The excuses I got from the freight company were pathetic and enraging; they tried to claim that the box had broken until I informed them that I'd made a wooden crate for it. I called them several times and they hadn't found it and I'd resigned myself to collecting the insurance which would have probably been an even bigger hassle when on the very last day before I could file an insurance claim they found it in Michigan. The freight company offered to return it to me but I was afraid that they'd lose it forever if I changed the destination and had them send it to the original addressee. He, in the meantime, had purchased another antique vise but waskid enough to hold it for me in Texas until I sold it again.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A not so distant story of loss and recovery. The sword loss had been listed on ebay for months before an entailed recovery.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...eagle-hilt

The saga are out there. I remember a tale of many journeys for a sword via FEDEX

The progression seems to be thus:

1) Sword of Runes is sent to the wrong destination.

2) Sword of Runes is believed to be returned to the smith.

3) The smith receives a package which is NOT the Sword of Runes.

4) Patron and the Smith raise unholy hell.

5) The shipper locates the correct Sword of Runes package.

6) The shipper sends the correct Sword of Runes package to the smith.

7) While the correct package is enroute to the smith, patron becomes skeptical.

8) Patron inquires as to the weight of the package. The shipper reports the weight as 1 lb.

9) Patron realizes that the package must be empty.

10) Patron and the smith await the package's arrival at the smith's place of business. They intend to photograph the package and take official actions against the shipper.

In the end, a sword was delivered.

Cheers

GC
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In some cases of apparently undue delay I suspect that the postal authorities know that the package contains an edged weapon & are taking time out looking for reasons not to deliver it. Some destinations prohibit such items, some addressees are minors who are not allowed to buy long knives or swords. But then maybe I'm attributing too much rational thought to postal inspectors. I would not object to a short delay intended to confirm that the shipment is lawful. What worries me is random acts of incompetence or malice that lose or damage legitimate shipments.

My most recent package has finally reached Kansas City Kansas, requiring 6 days to make a trip that ordinary packages make in only 2. If the delay ultimately turns out to be nothing but a detour for inspection I won't object.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Beware of USPS mishandling
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: