How to protect your nose in an enclosed helm?
After buying a decent quality enclosed helm from around 1200 in crusader style, Ive been looking to outfit it with the proper straps and padding to wear it comfortably and effectively. It fits perfectly now, but I am worried that it a hard blow hits the main plate covering my face it will come down on my nose hard enough to bleed badly.

How can I protect my nose better? Should I attach some padding to the inside of the helmet where my face is?
Thanks for the help[/quote]
I've seen helmet padding kits, both stick-on and Velcro on Amazon. You might check those out. :) ......McM

www.amazon.com
Post a picture of you wearing your new helmet. Btw. why doesn't it have a suspension to begin with?
Peter Spätling wrote:
Post a picture of you wearing your new helmet. Btw. why doesn't it have a suspension to begin with?

Yes, it of course has the right suspension to keep it tight around my head, and I can confidently take almost any blow with it.
But a good stroke against the main face plate will crush my nose, I need to keep it secured somehow.
I tried to take pics before i posted this, but unless I had an x ray camera I just cant get a good shot, the helmet itself blocks off all view.

Attachment: 190.61 KB
therionarms_c1275h.jpg
The helm looks like this
I think many original greathelms have an angle at the front of the face and are not as flat in the front as yours. This forms a larger space between the nose and inside of the helm and may possibly prevent the helm from hitting the nose. In any case, better a smashed nose than a cleaved face.
Im no expert though so i may be wrong of course
Mark Tan wrote:
I think many original greathelms have an angle at the front of the face and are not as flat in the front as yours. This forms a larger space between the nose and inside of the helm and may possibly prevent the helm from hitting the nose. In any case, better a smashed nose than a cleaved face.
Im no expert though so i may be wrong of course

You're probably right. I guess I'll just have to deal with it lol
The best solution is to not get hit in the shnozz. :lol: ......McM
Mark Moore wrote:
The best solution is to not get hit in the shnozz. :lol: ......McM

True, true
if you have a proper arming cap that makes the helmet snug the simple chin strap should do fine. from personal experience fighting in a great helm, you're more likely to have the helmet ride UP rather than down. Usually from blows from the side.

A strip of closed cell foam down the front (or padding the whole faceplate) doesn't hurt either.
Extra padding at the forehead will push your face further back from the front of the helm. I would just tuck a piece of foam under the front of the liner and see what that does. It works well on my helmets. :) .....McM
Thanks you guys for a nice tips.
Gonna try it tomorrow!
Here's another little tip on something I've done in the past. ---- I once bought a great helm without a built-in liner. I wanted to make it a little more...luxurious, so I sanded down the inside, spread on a thin coat of Elmer's glue, and pressed in a few carefully measured and trimmed sheets of craft felt. (I used red felt, and it looked amazing.) Then, I trimmed the felt from the eye slits and used a wood-burning tool to open up the breath holes. Worked like a charm, and I sold it for almost double what I paid for it. It also helps muffle the 'clang' when you get bopped on the noggin. :D :lol: .........McM
The earliest great helms were indeed very cylindrical, which made this a problem. Eventually some genius (I mean that seriously) figured out that making the helm teardrop shaped (as seen from above) and with the point forward would protect the nose and also make it much more difficult for a lance to penetrate. The development of plate armour was a slow and literally painful process. ;)
As would be seen here on my sugar loaf great helm. :D ......McM

Attachment: 33.69 KB
WIN_20180201_11_01_48_Pro.jpg

Aaaaand here....You can just barely see the bridge of my nose....about 1'' away from the front. ;) ....McM

Attachment: 39.82 KB
WIN_20180201_11_08_09_Pro.jpg

he best solution is to not get hit in the shnozz

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: