For sale: INGELRII sword with scabbard
Late 11th / early 12th cetury one handed sword inspired by some few original swords, (inter alia: INGELRII swords from museums in Glasgow, Zagreb, Rijksmuseum and others)

Dating
12th cetury one handed sword with inscription INGELRII. It was inspired by original INGELRII swords dated from circa 950 to 1150 and it is very close to their parameters. Scabbard and belting is based on historical sources from 11th-12th century (original scabbards finds, effigies, manuscripts...)

Characteristics
That is a mighty sword with wide blade and more spiky point as some of original swords of this period. It`s balanced more forward according to original swords parameters and it reflects many important features of medieval swords of this type: strong cutting ability but also thrusting with spiky, sharp point.
It is a sword type designed for using with a shield company but also it allows effective fencing and tactics based on warrior skills. It could be also a sword type used during Crusades.

Scabbard & belting
Scabbard for this sword was also based on / and inspired by existing original scabbards examples and medieval art.
According to available sources about medieval art, medieval aesthetics and existing examples, I have decided to make a scabbard more plain and close to this most popular type. We can find here many important and common details, assembling techniques, proportions, etc. But the most important in my opinion is style of finish. It is obviously not as perfect as we use to see today. That is because it`s based on very close observations of original scabbards details, sometimes only remains of them.
So, it would be probably 'ugly' or 'too rough' for us: 21th century people I guess :)
But it can give us an idea about medieval reality, what we sometimes forget, looking at modern reproductions of swords and scabbards :) Also, in my opinion, that kind of reconstruction can be today, in some way, more valuable than those modern perfect finish. Because it can bring something lost to life and tell us more about Middle Ages.

Measurements:
total length 945mm
bladse length 800mm
blade width 57mm
grip 97mm
balance ca. 170mm
weight ca. 1280g
hardness 52-54HRC
edges sharp

Price $ 2100 USD
Shipping all around the world.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Very impressive. The Gaddhjalt form is one of my favorites.

Is the shape of the blade tip modeled on a specific example in a museum or collection or is it based more on artistic license? Is the inscription etched into the blade or is it scribed and inlaid? Does it appear on both sides of the blade?

What payment options do you accept?
Steve Fabert wrote:
Very impressive. The Gaddhjalt form is one of my favorites.

Is the shape of the blade tip modeled on a specific example in a museum or collection or is it based more on artistic license? Is the inscription etched into the blade or is it scribed and inlaid? Does it appear on both sides of the blade?

What payment options do you accept?

Thank you Steve. That blade tip is one of the most popular forms, designed for more effective thrusting. On my Polish website is an article by Bartosz Brycki about sword tips where he explains this form more and shows it was very common for this type too.
Here is a link: http://mieczesredniowieczne.pl/sztychy-mieczy...jonalnosc/
The inscription is made by etching at this case and it is more like a tribute to this line (mark) of swords, which I like very much.
However it was made very flat and to looks authentic. It is on one side of blade, according to its original form.
The main base for my design was the original from Glasgow, marked with INGELRII inscription and very close to proportions and parameters of my sword. It is a large sword with wide blade. Two next - from Zagreb museum and Rijksmuseum - are also similar and marked with INGERLII. All of them have the inscription only on one side of blade.
About the payment option you can contact me on priv, I accept both: PayPal or bank transfer.
Bump for that one!
the sword is still available and we have a price drop ;)
Now it is $1750. I would highly recommend that "beast" blade for cutting and other practice with shield.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: