Straight vs Curved blade cutting, slow motion compare
https://youtu.be/coXtB2OsZxM
This is a part of the research I've been conducting on straight vs curved swords in terms of cutting performance. It is a slow motion compare between a straight sword (Longship armoury 5160H exblunt dadao) vs a curved sword (Simon Maru made by Lung Chuan on plastic bag covered upper arm difficulty target (7 chopsticks core), using 2 techniques in the cuts.
WOW, that was quite sharp :)
Mike Haris wrote:
WOW, that was quite sharp :)

Hehhe thanks for watching. Here's what I found from the experiment.

I did this test because the straight sword used to have lots of resistance when cutting through the plastic bag covered newspapers roll, while the curved sword did not.

I investigated the various sources of the resistance. There were several considerations. Was it the difference in the slicing angle? Was it the difference in the concentration of pressure due to different size of area in edge contact after cutting in?

In the end I found that it was the plastic bag free floating in the air that caused the super drag.

With the curved sword, the sword tip would not catch and hook on the plastic bag, regardless it is fixed or not. But the straight sword would hook on it and drag it around, if it wasn't fixed to the target. The dragging the bag around was like swinging a flag. It produced a lot of air friction, lots of noise and resistance.

Once the bag is fixed on the target, curved sword cuts only with very slightly better feedback (less impact feeling) than straight sword. Negligible difference.

curved sword is like having the same amount of pressure concentrated on a smaller area of contact, plus less drag due to streamlined shape.

straight sword is hitting farther away, earlier impact, but spread the same pressure on the long contact area and more drag.

When the target increased on toughness and hardness, this difference will increase. If the target was soft and easy to cut, not much difference felt.

Straight dao does have an advantage in cutting "live" targets though. Live targets seldom stand there and not move when getting hit. When the target was moving in or out, it would add to straight dao's slicing ability. In case of the target moving away, straight dao's ability to reach farther and with the tip curvature, will cut the target VERY GOOD while the curved one may not even touch the target in time due to the slight delay in impact.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: