Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grip colour - Ritter? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Grip colour - Ritter?         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'd like to order an Albion Ritter, but I don't know what grip colour to get?! The scabbard by Christian (Fletcher) will have to match it.

I'm not sure I want black. I'm thinking brown. But I know not which brown! Oh so many choices!
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Grip colour - Ritter?         Reply with quote

Peter Busch wrote:
Hello all,

I'd like to order an Albion Ritter, but I don't know what grip colour to get?! The scabbard by Christian (Fletcher) will have to match it.

I'm not sure I want black. I'm thinking brown. But I know not which brown! Oh so many choices!

I think you have to order the sword through Christian in order for him to make a scabbard. I'm sure he will match things up for you no problem. I have a Sovereign with a dark brown grip and a Gotland with a light brown grip. I really like both colors. The light brown (campaign worn) gives a nice rustic feel. I also have a Baron with the oxblood grip. This is my favorite color so far. I moved away from black since it's been over done a bit.

It is a hard choice but You will enjoy it no matter what color it is Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

I currently have a Ritter here in my home temporarily. The grip is dark brown and compliments the sword very nicely. Black is my personal color of choice for specific reasons, but the brown is very nice.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

Okay. This has finally got my curiosity enough to ask, if you don't mind answering:

So, what's the story behind the whole "black and steel" color scheme you've got going? By your post in this thread it sounds like there's some rationale beyond preference behind it.

Thanks. . . and to keep somewhat on topic, if memory serves, David Stokes had one done with a green grip that was quite striking.
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Yes it was striking         Reply with quote

David's was certainly striking with the green grip and blued fittings, but I'd like to keep it historically accurate (or at least looking that way).

I'm thinking perhaps brown was more historically correct. I'm leaning more towards a mid brown, rather than a dark brown. I'm not really wanting different belt colours to the scabbard etc. I think I'll keep it all uniform.
I think the picture included (by Nathan is the colour I'd like). What colour does Albion call this?

Attachment: 63.99 KB
AlbionBrown1.jpg
Probably the brown I'd like.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes it was striking         Reply with quote

Peter Busch wrote:
I think the picture included (by Nathan is the colour I'd like).

Heh, that's not one of Nathan's photos, it's one of mine. You can tell by the fact that it isn't awesome. Happy

I think the Ritter would look really good with the light brown, but that's just my preference.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Patrick,

Okay. This has finally got my curiosity enough to ask, if you don't mind answering:

So, what's the story behind the whole "black and steel" color scheme you've got going? By your post in this thread it sounds like there's some rationale beyond preference behind it.

Thanks. . . and to keep somewhat on topic, if memory serves, David Stokes had one done with a green grip that was quite striking.

It's really not an aesthetic choice since I like quite a few of the various grip colors available. Many of them would look quite attractive on several of the swords I have.

When I decided to build a collection that illustrated the development of the knightly sword I also decided to stay with one grip color. I want the form and design features of the individual swords to be the focal point. I don't want various grip colors and furniture materials to distract from that. Black is the most neutral and generic color of those available from Albion, so it seemed the obvious choice.

The only ones that will deviate from that will be the celtic and migration examples. Given the reliance on non-ferrous and organic materials in their hilt construction the "black and steel" wouldn't look right. In fact, since those materials are key design features for those types it will probably help to emphasize the difference.

Now back on topic............................. Big Grin

Peter,

I'm glad to see you buy the Ritter. It's a shame that it hasn't been one of Albion's big sellers. It's a very distinctive design from a very specific period in history. It's also a well made example of the type. I think you'll like it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: leather grips         Reply with quote

Talking about leather grips.

How far back in time is there (pictorial written or archeological) evidence of leather wraped grips??

Is a Viking sword with leather still, accurate, or a Migration period one, or maybe something BC??? (Wich I hardly can imagien)

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great choice, Peter!

I got the chans to just hold and feel the Ritter (at Joachim Nilssons) while he evaluated it for Peter J. It´s a fantasic cutter. And I would go for the campain worn. Then you get a sword that looks like it has and will kill. But that me Cool ...

Again go for the Ritter. I belive that there will be a review on it soon, looking forward to that.

Have a nice Day...

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Grip colour - Ritter?         Reply with quote

Peter Busch wrote:
Hello all,

C'mon, Peter!

With a name like "Busch", you have every reason to go all-out Teutonic. The Ritter is about as Teutonic as a sword can get. Thus, we Teutons order our swords with BLACK grips (black and white was a common color scheme among the Teutonic orders). No and's, if's, or but's! Razz

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen all of the albion colors except red, and oxblood is my favorite.
I and others have noticed that the light brown grips darken significantly with useage, thus light brown is another good choice. In the two albions I have seen, I own one, the light brown grip looks much darker than that which shows up in photos.
Just a thought- but my vote is for oxblood,
Jeremy
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Teutonic yes ... but black ... hmmmm         Reply with quote

Well yes I certainly have German background (parents), but I don't know that I'll go for the black colour this time ...

I really think I would prefer the browns.

In fact I more or less decided I think I'll go with this sort of brown colour scheme (without the worn/antique finish):

Attachment: 42.07 KB
Perhaps1.jpg

http://www.swordforum.com/fall99/1865.html
http://www.oakeshott.org/1831art.html

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grip colour - Ritter?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic