Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Realistic body type Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Continuing my reading of "Blood Red Roses", I have reached the chapter where the subject of physical evidence of lifestyle is discussed. Based on bony evidence of 'robusticity' the authors concluded that the pile of dead fighters unearthed at Towton were about as thick & active/inactive as a group of medieval clerics unearthed at a monastery not many miles away. So this particular small group of troops did not differ in any statistically discernible manner from a bunch of 'Friar Tucks'. Their ages ranged from late teens to late forties (by estimate). So the assumption that there were no chunky monkeys among them is highly speculative. Not disproven, but plainly not supported by this source of physical anthropological evidence.
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Reading this thread, I have to say that I agree here with Zach and Dan.
There are periods in which great exception to any sort of rule would of course exist, and in a wide topic like this one, that will create a problem. What is true for Roman Gladiators is not necessarily applicable to American Civil War soldiers, and vice-versa.

The fact, however, is that we still have a year on year rising obesity problem (in the UK). People today, largely and particularly in cities, lead far more sedentary lifestyles. Even in the country, however, there are tractors, automobiles, and horses (owned by a wider stretch of classes). To top that off, and most importantly, I would suggest we have an easier access to foodstuffs.

My specialty is Anglo-Saxon, and I cannot comment widely outside of this, but to Ben's comments above, I would say that I think there is a difference in the alcohol. For most of the medieval period, the vast majority of the population were peasant/tenant farmers/labourers. These people had active lifestyles, but had little/limited access to foodstuffs. Ann Hagen has argued that the specific reason for drinking as much as people did was to meet a basic caloric load. If we look at what was drunk by the masses, though, it isn't like for like. Alu (Ale) which was the primary drink of this class is not exactly like any modern alcohol/beverage at all. First the ABV was, from what evidence we have, very low typically under 3% and dropping to 1-2% regularly. Further this could, and was occasionally, mixed with "water from springs and deep wells" this would reduce alcohol content by volume even further. Second, the ale that was made would have more complex carbohydrates than say a modern Lager Beer... More in line with an English Bitter or Cask Ale.
This, particularly if it was a major part of your subsistence diet and making up a major part of your non-protein consumption, not make you fat.. and certainly not obese.

It is difficult to prove any of this without a specific case study, which would then only be relevant to a specific time/place, I can say anecdotally (as Zach put it) that it seems very unlikely there were many obese people at all. In my first Masters degree, years ago, looking at European clothing... I remember most of what does remain in garment form being quite small. Trousers often had sub 30" waists and chest sizes in tunics would be in line with a modern 36" or 38" at a push. Again anecdotal, but looking at the apex of society, most later mail shirts etc I can think of are of a fairly small size by modern standards.

I would think the comments regarding minimum size/weight in say the Roman Army has more to do with the fact that so few people among the lower classes had basic nutrition and was a prevention against anemic and malnourished soldiers.
I would argue we think about this differently today as in modern militaries, we have the opposite problem. A study that came out this year suggested that the U.S. Army had to cut 15% more troops due to having too high a BMI than they had in the previous year.

This isn't to say everyone throughout history was thin, physical diversity and differential responses to the same diet would be as diverse then as it is today.. Certainly there would still have been some thicker or more overweight people, I would just suggest fewer. I do not reenact, nor personally know anyone who does, but I agree here again with Dan and the OP, why not incorporate diet and lifestyle choices into a portrayal of the past? Old recipes exist, and it can be quite fun to try and replicate what 'they' ate and drank. Walking, running, exercise, well those are just good habits regardless.

Best,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Ben Joy

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:

It is difficult to prove any of this without a specific case study, which would then only be relevant to a specific time/place, I can say anecdotally (as Zach put it) that it seems very unlikely there were many obese people at all.

THIS is the biggest point I've been trying to make the whole time! We don't have the case studies. We also don't have a lot of the evidence required to, beyond a shadow of a doubt, prove things one way or another. All we can do is speculate and theorize. No one here (as I fully admitted even in my own case) has presented anything that sets a concrete amount of historical fact.

Therefore, sure, while it might be safer to say that the soldiers would be preferred to be portrayed by the "young and fit" (again, "fit" is probably subject to its own set of interpretations to era and concept, bringing the Gladiators up again as example), there's nothing to say that someone who's bigger just can't or shouldn't be allowed to reenact or wear soldier's garb/armor as their kit for a convention, ren-fest, or otherwise.

Part of the inferred notion of the OP (as they went very far out of their way to try not to insult anyone) is that anyone not fitting the "ideal" shouldn't be participating in those roles . . . or maybe not participating at all without trying to replicate the "ideal". To that I would say that people have their hobbies and passions, people can spend their money on what they want to spend it on, and we -as any sort of community- shouldn't be ostracizing people on their physical appearance. Take the first step in that direction, and you open up one ugly can of worms. Just because someone doesn't fit the ideal doesn't mean they can't teach what the ideal was if they're trying to educate someone.

Hadrian Coffin wrote:

This isn't to say everyone throughout history was thin, physical diversity and differential responses to the same diet would be as diverse then as it is today.. Certainly there would still have been some thicker or more overweight people, I would just suggest fewer. I do not reenact, nor personally know anyone who does, but I agree here again with Dan and the OP, why not incorporate diet and lifestyle choices into a portrayal of the past? Old recipes exist, and it can be quite fun to try and replicate what 'they' ate and drank. Walking, running, exercise, well those are just good habits regardless.

Again, as I stated in my first post . . . if someone wants to go that hardcore in their historical authenticity by replicating exact food and drink, or hand-stitching their soft kit, then more power to them. Just like if they want to do the exact same kinds of training exercises that we have documented being done in some cases (just because it's written in one manual doesn't mean that everyone did it). However, some of us are literally disabled and/or older and cannot do the same physical things we used to do . . . no matter how much we'd love to. Regardless, that shouldn't just automatically say, "Hey, you're getting up there in age . . . give up your armor and go get in a clergy or aristocrat outfit."

Also, I'll say again, which hits more on your first part of this statement. Genetic tracking and diagnosis/acknowledgement of metabolic issues and body types is only a more modern thing. Just because we didn't track it doesn't mean it didn't exist; but some of the statements in this thread certainly lean more in the direction of throwing out the stereotype or statement that it just didn't and question whether or not it should even be allowed to be represented.

"Men take only their needs into consideration, never their abilities." -Napoleon Bonaparte
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Joy wrote:
Hadrian Coffin wrote:

It is difficult to prove any of this without a specific case study, which would then only be relevant to a specific time/place, I can say anecdotally (as Zach put it) that it seems very unlikely there were many obese people at all.

THIS is the biggest point I've been trying to make the whole time! We don't have the case studies. We also don't have a lot of the evidence required to, beyond a shadow of a doubt, prove things one way or another. All we can do is speculate and theorize. No one here (as I fully admitted even in my own case) has presented anything that sets a concrete amount of historical fact.

Therefore, sure, while it might be safer to say that the soldiers would be preferred to be portrayed by the "young and fit" (again, "fit" is probably subject to its own set of interpretations to era and concept, bringing the Gladiators up again as example), there's nothing to say that someone who's bigger just can't or shouldn't be allowed to reenact or wear soldier's garb/armor as their kit for a convention, ren-fest, or otherwise.

Part of the inferred notion of the OP (as they went very far out of their way to try not to insult anyone) is that anyone not fitting the "ideal" shouldn't be participating in those roles . . . or maybe not participating at all without trying to replicate the "ideal". To that I would say that people have their hobbies and passions, people can spend their money on what they want to spend it on, and we -as any sort of community- shouldn't be ostracizing people on their physical appearance. Take the first step in that direction, and you open up one ugly can of worms. Just because someone doesn't fit the ideal doesn't mean they can't teach what the ideal was if they're trying to educate someone.

Hadrian Coffin wrote:

Again, as I stated in my first post . . . if someone wants to go that hardcore in their historical authenticity by replicating exact food and drink, or hand-stitching their soft kit, then more power to them. Just like if they want to do the exact same kinds of training exercises that we have documented being done in some cases (just because it's written in one manual doesn't mean that everyone did it). However, some of us are literally disabled and/or older and cannot do the same physical things we used to do . . . no matter how much we'd love to. Regardless, that shouldn't just automatically say, "Hey, you're getting up there in age . . . give up your armor and go get in a clergy or aristocrat outfit."

Also, I'll say again, which hits more on your first part of this statement. Genetic tracking and diagnosis/acknowledgement of metabolic issues and body types is only a more modern thing. Just because we didn't track it doesn't mean it didn't exist; but some of the statements in this thread certainly lean more in the direction of throwing out the stereotype or statement that it just didn't and question whether or not it should even be allowed to be represented.
With any understanding of the sheer diversity of gladiator types, the idea that they had one physique or physique standard of any kind is absurd. What is a good body for Murmillo would be awefull for a reiteraus.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Essentially we do this for fun or personal interest or ....or ...or

We all have our own reasons for doing what we do and whatever sex, colour, shape, age, fitness level or whatever may or may not come into it and that has to be a personal decision or perhaps partly of the group you are part of.

Personally I am not keen on seeing pot bellied mid fifties soldiers in large quantity - it doesn't look right to me, but equally having a mouth full of white teeth and a complete lack of smallpox scars is also not right. It is not right that not one person on the field has a chronic limp from a badly set leg or has his nose cut off from some minor criminal act, but we accept that. Where d we draw the line?

I have been part of groups that would not let older or overweight men (no women) appear on the field - looks great, but not so inclusive. I have spent time with groups that have women on the field in combat roles and 300lbs men at arms - doesn't look great, but is very inclusive for all.

If a black guy sees only white men he will not see people of his colour as having any part in that nations history even though he is now part of that nation - that seems wrong.

So my gut feeling is that soldiers on the whole were youngish and fit (the guy in Blood red roses with the mashed and healed jaw was mid forties when he died) and that if we want to portray a proper field army we should aspire to that, however not at the cost of everyone else who wants to play.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Last edited by Leo Todeschini on Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Joy

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
With any understanding of the sheer diversity of gladiator types, the idea that they had one physique or physique standard of any kind is absurd. What is a good body for Murmillo would be awefull for a reiteraus.

I'm making generalized statements to prove a point. This statement just emphasizes the point I was trying to make. Thank you. If you go back a few posts you'll see where I was even using the gladiator reference as an incredibly broad and loose concept for the discussion to emphasize the concept that people are making far too broad of generalizations on the subject and claiming it as the given historical "ideal" or "standard".

The whole overarching theme of the thread is the concept of imposing "ideals" on "reeneactors" for the sake of "historical authenticity". All of these concepts are far too broad in scope, horribly open to anecdotal evidence and concepts (especially the further back in time you go), and all we can really do is speculate and use smatterings of loose data on very minute and specific concepts that don't corroborate to adamantly prove anything.

Regardless, should we be ostracizing people just because of their physical appearance and demanding they only fill certain stereotypical rolls? or should we be just accepting of people who have interests in the concepts and/or history and allowing them to do what they want with their time and money?

"Men take only their needs into consideration, never their abilities." -Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Realistic body type
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: