Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carolingian Shield Strapping Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Len Parker

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Carolingian Shield Strapping         Reply with quote

Look at the shield second from right. I see a long guige strap attached on each side of the grip, and to the left a smaller strap. This is the only Carolingian painting that shows a second smaller strap. The modern descriptions I've read only mention the center grip.

I'm assuming it's a forearm strap. Notice how the shield just hangs on the arm with the hand holding the reins.

On foot would this allow a two hand thrust with your spear with your shield in front?
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hoo, that first illustration looks like it's showing only the *fronts* of those shields, to me! IF the 2 on the right are actually the backs, then that little detail next to the central circle is the end of the grip, and the curious "hanging" loopy thing which looks like a drawing of an island is most likely the neck guige. Various rings for carrying straps are pretty common finds on early medieval shields, as I understand it.

On the second one, that's just a normal center-grip shield hanging by the neck guige. No need to assume any other arm straps, because there isn't any other evidence for such things, that I've ever seen.

Yeah, enlarging that first image and looking some more, it does kinda look like 3 of those shields are seen from the back. But to me they're all straightforward, central grips with (presumably) carrying straps or guiges.

Matthew
Len Parker

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But you do see there are two straps. There's the longer dark one hanging down a bit past the shield, and then a smaller one just to the left.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I *think* I see what you're referring to, but even at best the smaller one can't be for the forearm, like the porpax on a Greek shield. It's just too long and floppy.

We may just be looking at wavy lines, here...

Matthew
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only see the fronts of shields in the first image. There is iron strapping across the face to reinforce the handgrip that is presumably on the back.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Len Parker

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have to save it and enlarge it. It's seems obvious to me. The second guy from left is the only guy with his hand behind the shield. His is the only shield with the decorative three studs around the front of it. The other three guys all have their arms in front of their shields. Are we suppose to believe they're holding their shields by the bosses? If you look closely you can see the first and the forth also have the smaller straps. They're tiny but they're there.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe. It just looks like a regular hand grip to me.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Parker,

On Wednesday 13 December 2017, you wrote:
But you do see there are two straps. There's the longer dark one hanging down a bit past the shield, and then a smaller one just to the left.

And later, you also wrote:
. . . If you look closely you can see the first and the forth also have the smaller straps. They're tiny but they're there.

I think that the image shows the guige strap looped over the grip. On the rightmost and leftmost shields, you've noted what appear to be very short bits of strap above the grips, next to the soldiers' wrists. On the shield about which you ask, that bit (which may be intended to show the strap tucked behind the grip to get it out of the way) just seems to be a bit longer, so that it has flopped down. Looking carefully at the image, I see that strap attached at the grip's end, running downward to near the shield's rim, looping upward again, and passing over and then behind the grip to hang below the soldier's hand alongside his body.

I'm sorry that the .jpg's resolution isn't greater. Do you know whether any more detail is visible at the image's source?

Best,

Mark Millman
Len Parker

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark, I like your explanation. The guige strap looped around the grip makes sense. I knew I saw two loops hanging on that shield.
Here's a close up Egfroth posted on AA.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a somewhat better quality image.

(Right-click for the context menu, then middle-click "View Image" to view in full resolution in a new tab. Ctrl + scroll wheel to zoom in/out.)

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Len,

On Thursday 14 December 2017, you wrote:
Mark, I like your explanation. The guige strap looped around the grip makes sense. I knew I saw two loops hanging on that shield.

Thanks. I'm glad to have been able to offer a helpful suggestion.

Quote:
Here's a close up Egfroth posted on AA.

I've snipped the image from this reply, but that's about as big as I was able to view the one you originally posted when I expanded it.

Best,

Mark
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Kuusirati,

On Thursday 14 December 2017, you wrote:
Here's a somewhat better quality image. . .

Oh, that's very nice. Thank you for posting it, and for teaching me a new image-handling function.

Best,

Mark Millman
Len Parker

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This guy has a similar idea for the two studs on the Sutton Hoo shield https://youtu.be/n1e97_OfE6Y?t=565 Craig Peters posted this: https://www.degueulesetdargent.fr/2017/03/02/shield-straps-and-holding-of-the-shield-in-the-early-13th-century/ Down near bottom you can see how later medieval horseman put their arm through the strap to hold the reins. I'm thinking the same thing for the earlier horseman. Does this sound plausible?
Henry R. Gower

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Carolingian Shield Strapping         Reply with quote

Perusing the images, I am wondering, and have wondered for a long time, what the Carolingian helmets would have looked like. Some other images of Carolingian troops present an even more puzzling challenge by their iconography. They appear to be some kind of a bowl shape, with a rim and a crest on top. I do not think any actual archaeological finds of such helmets have ever been discovered, if they have, I have never seen them.
Len Parker

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Best sculpture of these helmets I've seen: http://warfare.gq/6C-11C/Ivory_Diptych-Cathed...bottom.htm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carolingian Shield Strapping
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic