Go to page Previous  1, 2

Here's a Bavarian saber of ca. 1873. The same general hilt outline is seen in the so-called Blucher saber of ca. 1800 and ceremonial German military swords of WWII, so you can see why I'm leaning toward a German origin. The overall condition of yours, the langets and piercing of the knucklebow (for a sword knot) suggest a date in the early part of this range (plus, it seems that lots of European swords were imported between 1800 and 1850).

http://www.caltim.com/uhlan.regiments/collect...dex.15.jpg
Have a look at the weapon at the bottom of this page:

http://armscollectors.com/mgs/straight_swords.htm

Maybe this is an American sword after all. You might do a search for Horstmann swords and see what you turn up.
I thought I did mention it, but it is a curved blade. It is very large too (similar to the 1796 blade in size and shape). I would say it is similar to the 1788 dragoon sword although this has the P guard.

I was saving my money for a New World Arbalest crossbow, but then of course I HAD to venture into the antique shop and find this. As much as I want it, I wonder if I could turn around and sell it for more (despite wanting to keep it) Ahhhh, to only have enough $$$ to enjoy both.
Thanks for the info. Sean is probably right then, that it's some sort of 1796 knock-off for the American Militia (or someone's militia!) market. But unfortunately, in the shape it is, it would have to be pretty cheap to make much of a profit on. On the other hand, if you just want it as a cool thing to have, then hey, it's probably worth picking up... IF you have the change.

Gordon
A bit more checking last night (Claude Blair's European and American Weapons) leads me more and more toward 1800-1850, if not earlier. It's those langets....

This will make lots of folks cringe, but here goes:

I'd be inclined to talk the owner down as far as possible ($150?) by pointing out the very poor condition and lack of any definitive ID. That's honest, fair and gets the piece in my hands.Then I'd hold the piece awhile and track down every possible ID lead. If that search proved futile, I'd disassemble the sword, restore the steel/iron and make a new, historically accurate grip. But then, I buy swords because I enjoy them and want to keep them, not as investments. I'd never even think about doing this until I'd exhausted all ID options, though–U.S., U.K. and Euro museums, collectors, etc.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: