Dane Axe and Spear Hafts in the Bayeux Tapestry
So I’ve been looking through medieval art in search of historical representations of Dane axes. The Bayeux Tapestry has several representations and as I’ve studied I noticed that spear hafts are represented as significantly thinner than axe hafts throughout. Both mounted and on foot, spears appear to have very thin hafts. Did early medieval spears have thinner hafts, or is there evidence to show that weapons of this kind were used with thinner hafts? I know using one source can be problematic in extrapolating theories, but it’s one of the only contemporary works of art readily accessible to feature Dane axe. I’ve found another period piece - the painted work - from the 1130’s depicting the martyrdom of St. Edmund and it seems to show both axe and spear as having similar sized hafts. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Attachment: 54.72 KB
0A1A03AF-4A58-49EA-A62E-75C9F4F7B29C.jpeg

Attachment: 43.45 KB
65FE94A9-875B-4DCB-8410-6214B59C8257.jpeg

Attachment: 178.73 KB
B53D281B-881C-4CAE-9833-6DCCC8A9243D.jpeg

Attachment: 47.33 KB
980CD70B-BD1F-4034-A27C-53B86F1159DA.jpeg

Attachment: 385.93 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 391.48 KB
[ Download ]
I think that instead of using artwork to determine the thinknesses to spear shafts, you should look to the archaeological evidence. There are hundreds of surviving spear heads whose sockets can give us a good idea of the typical shaft thickness. I don't have that information on me at the moment, but I doubt it would be hard to find with a quick Google search.

Jason
Re: Dane Axe and Spear Hafts in the Bayeux Tapestry
Jonathan Hodge wrote:
So I’ve been looking through medieval art in search of historical representations of Dane axes. The Bayeux Tapestry has several representations and as I’ve studied I noticed that spear hafts are represented as significantly thinner than axe hafts throughout. Both mounted and on foot, spears appear to have very thin hafts. Did early medieval spears have thinner hafts, or is there evidence to show that weapons of this kind were used with thinner hafts? I know using one source can be problematic in extrapolating theories, but it’s one of the only contemporary works of art readily accessible to feature Dane axe. I’ve found another period piece - the painted work - from the 1130’s depicting the martyrdom of St. Edmund and it seems to show both axe and spear as having similar sized hafts. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Stabbing things relies less of mass to be effective and put less stress on a weapon than chopping and cutting things. I wouldn't be surprised if the shafts where a little bit thinner.
As Jason O C said, the most reliable source are your primary sources, the actual spearheads themselves. I cannot locate my document making comparisons, but do know that the typical spear socket on a large thrusting spear was 2.5 - 3 cm. in diameter. Throwing spears/javelins had even thinner diameters.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: