Anyone have more information on this sword?
I am looking at using this blade as a basis for a custom piece and was wondering if anyone had any more information about it?

All of the information that I have comes from here: http://www.pba-auctions.com/html/fiche.jsp?id...;setLng=en

Attachment: 5.26 KB
Broad Type XIIIa sword.jpg

They seem to be saying that the blade was shortened somewhere during its history, starting out as a XIIIa, ending up as a XIII with a very long grip. It looks to be in extremely good condition.
Almost to good of condition when one take into account the statements about some of the decorations on the sword. I wish that there were more information about the find location of the sword. Based on the provided measurements it is still in XIIIa territory even with the shortened blade! I would love to know what the weight is since from some quick measurements and conversions the blade appears to be over 62 mm wide at the guard!

There is something about the proportion of this blade that speaks to me.
It already IS a custom....and it speaks to me also. Fantastic. :) .....McM
Description says "Great Sword in the medieval style" so it's modern.
I tend to agree that the sword as a whole is a relatively modern amalgam. I am wondering about the blade though since it does state the blade circa 1300 -1400 which to me indicates an antique blade mated to modern furniture. Unless I am misreading the description.
While the tip suggests otherwise, the overall size and width of the weapon makes me think of an executioners sword. Great for lopping off heads, but too slow and heavy for the battlefield.
The leather seems to have that "red rot" that I have heard described on 19th century and early 20th century pieces that attempt to copy older style swords.

M.
I had not thought about that possibility Travis. Looking at it I can see what you are saying. One of the reasons that they had posted weights for their auctions. It would give us a better idea about the pieces.

I agree that the hilt as a whole looks off to me M. The blade looks to be in just a little to good of condition as well from what I can see.

I am thinking of having a version of this blade made in to a custom piece of slightly smaller proportions.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: