Show Us Your Bucklers!
I havenīt found a similar thread on this forum, therefore: show us your bucklers. Anything from I.33 types, Talhoffer bucklers, to small Scottish targe, and Renaissance hand-pavise.

Here is mine small "collection" - all are made by me, so theyīre far from perfect (but they are functional:))

1. The painted buckler has a wooden core with two layers of heavy linen, steel umbo (blackened) and a leather rim sewn through the wood. It was made fairly recently.

2. The round steel buckler is couple of years old (in fact, one of the first things I made myself for fencing) and has seen some heavy use on trainings and stage fencing. Itīs made from 2mm sheet steel, with steel handle, covered by leather.

3. The small hand pavise was made this winter from an old piece of sheet steel I found lying in a garage. Itīs inspired by a piece from Brussels Military museum.

Attachment: 112.03 KB
bucklers1.jpg

Attachment: 113.41 KB
bucklers2.jpg

Attachment: 124.28 KB
hand-pavise.jpg

Love the square one Radovan, nice work.
I love the square one also. One mans junk, in the right hands, becomes another mans treasure. Beautiful!....McM
Here are a couple of my older bucklers...first an A&A round targe...and an "India" buckler gone ancient...
Now they got a new brother - a simple Italian targa made from 2mm thick steel sheet.

Attachment: 98.92 KB
DIY-targa-2.jpg

Not very fancy, neither is the rest of my kit, but well made...

Attachment: 32.71 KB
22405855_10214317829356583_6756045000521426973_n.jpg

This thread just comes at the right moment! Only I recently finished my historically incorrect buckler (made of a bamboo plate I bought at a swedish furniture-maker, a piece of juniper-wood, a shield-boss, machine made linen and rawhide which I ordered in the internet). Here is the result...

Cheers!

Attachment: 77.13 KB
IMG_2814.JPG

Attachment: 172.59 KB
IMG_6322.JPG

Attachment: 83.12 KB
IMG_6321.JPG

Hey, funny, I build my own this year! Here it is, with my Maciej Kopciuch type XII/XIV:

[ Linked Image ]

The base was cut into a maple board, 12mm thick, then covered with a linen canvas on both faces using white glue. Then I put some rawhide all around, and added the forged boss, which is peened with iron nails.
The handle was made with an ash pole (with a square cross-section).

It is between 1,1 and 1,2kg for a ca. 30cm diameter. Pretty nice, I like it! :)
I guess I need to get off my duff this weekend and start putting mine together. Right now it's two circles drawn on a piece of 1/2" ply, and a 14ga. boss collecting dust on a shelf. I'm thinking of going non-traditional by putting a steel rim around it instead of rawhide. We'll see. ;) .....McM
Mark Moore wrote:
I guess I need to get off my duff this weekend and start putting mine together. Right now it's two circles drawn on a piece of 1/2" ply, and a 14ga. boss collecting dust on a shelf. I'm thinking of going non-traditional by putting a steel rim around it instead of rawhide. We'll see. ;) .....McM

Actually there's a few historical examples of bucklers circled with iron... so that's historically accurate !
This is a small shield I made about five years ago. It's in the style of a Scottish targe, using Tandy Leather's pattern, but it's only about 10 inches across and has grips like an Indo-Persian dhal. Unfortunately, the thin leather grips are very uncomfortable to hold.

Attachment: 80.71 KB
targe 2.JPG

Attachment: 91.37 KB
targe 1.JPG

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: