Landsknecht dagger help
Hey Guys!

Got a nice two hander coming in from tinker soon.

I’m hoping to make this a Landsknecht style set. What dagger would you guys recommend to match? Or be appropriate for the time period ??

Let me know. Pictures and sources are appreciated!

Thanks
the classic "Landsknecht style" dagger would be two-edged blade, most likely diamond section, though hexagonal or square reenforced tip is possible, a calyx-form hilt most likely of copper-alloy, with a tightly coiled "S" profile lower guard.

Example from the Delft Legersmuseum collection:

Attachment: 27.66 KB
[ Download ]
Hi Lance,

I would agree with James, that that is the 'classic' Landsknecht dagger, however there are plenty of other choices.

They did seem to like all metal hilts, so the almost delicate all steel rondels are very typical. Wallace and most good arms collections have these.

The flamboyant was also welcome, so the designs of Holbein and Durer were popular.

They liked fishtail pommels as shown in their Katzbalgers and so there were dagger forms that had these, often very fine and delicate and with some form of ring guard and on one side and nothing on the other. Look at the Met and the Army Museum in Paris.

They also liked very funnel shaped grips that start fine and grow very bulbous as they go to the top. Wallace has a few.

I posted up a few pictures of retros I have done, but I think they may have been taken down (sorry) as it is more or less against the rules, but I can't locate many original pics right now and don't have the time to dig them out.

I hope that helps, but you have quite a choice.

Tod
Leo Todeschini wrote:

I posted up a few pictures of retros I have done, but I think they may have been taken down (sorry) as it is more or less against the rules, but I can't locate many original pics right now

I was going to post a photo of at least one of your models, but felt it might be a little out of order. If you have no objection, Leo, I'll do just that.
Regarding the Met, this dagger in particular is one of my absolute favorites:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/32684

But I like pre-1520 stuff the most so that affects how I look at things. One aspect of that is I often see landsknechts without daggers at all! So you might not need one, if that fits your aims.

Other options: though the schweizerdolch is, as the name suggests, a Swiss dagger, I'm pretty sure I've seen it being used by landsknechts in some art. There's also rondel daggers.
If you do end up going the custom route I can't give enough praise to Tod who replied earlier in the topic, his work is astonishing and he has made some amazing Landsknecht daggers as you can see if you check his facebook

He posted one he just finished for me in the Maker's and Manufacturers talk today, great person to communicate with and he has strong historical knowledge and can guide you if you are unsure.

Hope you enjoy your Tinker and find a beautiful dagger to match it

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: