Cold Steel Gladius Machete: A brief review...
Let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of modern-age 'tactical' weaponry. I find it to be bleak, cold, and without any soul whatsoever. On a sheer whim, I ordered a CS Gladius machete from Amazon.com. I have no idea why...I just did. It was cheaper than KOA, and free shipping...so I said 'What the hell'.
First off---Kudo's to Amazon---this thing was in my hand in 3 days! It came very well packed, and in perfect condition.
My first impression was---Okay, I got a box with a plastic bag in it. Where's my damn sword? Then I realized that the sword was in the bag. HO-LEE-CRAP, BATMAN! This thing is as light as a feather, and as easy to wield as any sword I own. The blade is very thick and stiff compared to any other machetes. I don't really even consider this a machete...I call it a tactical short-sword.
I've already stress-tested it, and it performed way beyond my expectations. Bent in a vise from 12 o'clock to almost 3 o'clock and came back perfectly true.
The next step was the cutting. People...please. This thing is a BEAST. Razor-sharp ...right out of the box. I have swords that cost multiple hundreds of dollars that don't cut this well. For $30 and some change, am I impressed? HELL YEAH. Went through water bottles like they were non-existing. My wife's Halloween pumpkin suffered a much worse fate. :eek:

Anyway...Just thought I'd share my experience with this most excellent little blade. It may not be everyone's cup o' tea....but for the price and the quality, you will not go wrong.

This product is McM-endorsed. :D .......................McM

Attachment: 30.25 KB
WIN_20171016_17_23_06_Pro.jpg

I picked up one of these a while back because it looked neat. I thought it was a decent piece for what it is - a machete shaped like not a machete. Indeed that whole line is a fun concept, of what is basically a modern-day munitions-grade sword. I plan to pick up a riot shield and get myself a Modernized Roman Legionary kit going on, eventually.

I will say, though, you're the second person I've seen describe it as being very light. I can't say mine is heavy, but it has this certain "heft" to it.

M.
Well...maybe I was a bit overdramatic when I said 'light as a feather'. :lol: This is coming from a person used to using much larger, heavier weapons. Yes, it has a little heft---more so maybe than a 'regular' machete, but still a lot lighter than most swords I own. It just feels like lightning in my hand.
I think your idea of a modern-day Roman kit is a great idea. Of course, you'll need a spear and armor. ;) :D .....McM
Mark Moore wrote:
Well...maybe I was a bit overdramatic when I said 'light as a feather'. :lol: This is coming from a person used to using much larger, heavier weapons. Yes, it has a little heft---more so maybe than a 'regular' machete, but still a lot lighter than most swords I own. It just feels like lightning in my hand.
I think your idea of a modern-day Roman kit is a great idea. Of course, you'll need a spear and armor. ;) :D .....McM

Not sure about the armor yet, ha - maybe a Romanized PASGT helmet to start, ha!

M.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: