Affordable Light Weight Infantry Sabers
Hey all,

I'm currently in the market for a well balanced light weight saber. My budget is $250 absolute tops and I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible. I also have a preference for pre-Civil War era sabers as I find the more minimalist guards to be aesthetically appealing.

I'd love to hear anybodies thoughts or recommendations, good or bad, about cheap sabers on the market. I currently have my eye on the Windlass American Revolution Saber but that could easily change.

Cheers!

Last edited by Travis McLeod on Tue 24 Oct, 2017 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
I have an antique I'll be putting up next week. It's an Austrian M1861 Infantry Officers sabre, stays close to early sabre roots though with a B guard.
I'd look around at any local antique/militaria shops, curio shops,
at the mentioned budget or higher, I would still look at antique,
a lot of the repro stuff looks very nice, but until you hit higher level (expensive)
they cant compete with the handling of the antique sabres, they were made to do the job,
of the few swords I've sold, three old sabres in various condition are still in the Doh bracket, :cry:
try as many as you can, ;)
Re: Affordable Light Weight Infantry Sabers
Travis McLeod wrote:

I'd love to hear anybodies thoughts or recommendations, good or bad, about cheap sabers on the market. I currently have my eye on the Windlass American Revolution Saber!

The MRL American Revolution saber is a mixed bag. it's pretty typical of cheap semi modern sword; slightly whippy but well tempered, threaded tang that goes through a pommel nut, folded leather sheath, etc. Mine is a solid budget sword that is pretty handsome. The grip is ok with gloves. One "con" is that it is definitely a light cavalry sword; very tip heavy which works if you know how to toss that weight around fighting saber. I was satisfied with it at ~$140 if memory serves.
The Royal Sword has some possibilities
http://www.theroyalsword.com/english-american-swords.html
http://www.theroyalsword.com/swords.html
(contact to confirm availability)

There have been some of the above on ebay

The Cold Steel and other's not that horrible but much matters on what the purpose is. Antiques for appreciation and solo practice can be ok but if wanting a cutter, finding a sound example can be difficult. I bought a 200 yr mounted artillery sword for cutting and lucked out as far as usability goes. Even with a 33" blade, seemingly toy like compared to the Cold Steel 1796 lc.

Expectations go a long way as far as window shopping goes as well. You started with the Hungarian sabre you were unhappy with, then look at the other end of the spectrum with D guard bowies and are now looking at other comparisons of sabres again. I would not judge the overall market from having the Hungarian but at the same time, expectations are going to be forever clouded until determining what one really expects. An overly long reproduction is going to suck, compared to a shorter reproduction a nd both will often pale in comparison to authentic period swords.

The Potter sword from the Royal Sword is listed as in stock and I am curious myself. That and others have been on ebay. GGGodwin had an eagle sabre on ebay that looked better than his website pictures. Someone scooped it up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1812-eagle-head-pommel-officers-sword/292310880016?

Cheers

GC
This sword has without a doubt the most period accurate blade profile of any non-custom sword:
https://en.empirecostume.com/light-cavalry-sabre-troop-copy-c76-a8101.htm

It has been reviewed very favorably online, and follows the design of the original almost to the letter.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: